Sign in to follow this  
CrazyDave

Mk5 Golf GTI encounters

I had a guy appear in my rear view mirror today in a MK5 GTI very close and acting all aggressive. So when I cleared the island and onto a dual carriageway, I gave him a quick lesson (in the VR normally aspirated but absolutley standard style).

Then slowed down to have a gloat at the next roundabout! 8) Well p*$$ed off!

Anybody else had any nice runnins lately?

Having driven a MK5 GTI manual, I can confirm they have feck all above 4500rpm, which is where the stock VR does it's best work.

Below 4500rpm, watch out VR6. They have mega torque and only weigh 20Kg more than a VR6 Corrado.

I've trounced loads of them with consumate ease with my Supercharger.

They're great B road weapons, but not so hot in the straight line tussles.

Dave, having gone away from the lights on Bridge St against one once, he did get away from me until we were onto the bridge itself. At that point the VR began to roar and I swept past him like he wasn't there. By New Road he was a distant memory.

I was expecting a bit more of a battle. Maybe down some back roads would be more of a challenge.

The A3 2.0TDI we have at work is well scary down the twisty stuff, it rides the bumps and pot holes so well. The C is just to damn hard and low for that kind of driving. And the grip levels are unreal, the ESP is pretty trick. But the best bit is when you're hard on the brakes just before turning in and the DSG box does soft downchanges to stop the front wheels breaking traction. It's so easy to drive quick!