Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

G60 hall Sender

Is it possible a faulty Hall sender could send a inaccurate signal to the ECU and cause engine Knock (pinking) ??

a hall sensor is simply a small coil of wire which picks up the passing of a magnet and gives out an electrical pulse. The only ways this can send a signal at the wrong time are if the magnet, or coil have moved in relation to the body of the distributor... It's not impossible, but it's very, very unlikely... When hall senders tend to fail, the coil develops a crack in the wire which intermittently causes the sensor to fail to give a signal when the magnet passes, resulting in a misfire... over time, the crack grows and eventually the coil fails completely leaving you with a dead engine due to loss of spark... :|

There are only 7 things that I can think of which would effect timing on a G60 causing pinking:

1) The 100cm vacuum tube from the throttle body to the MAP sensor which alters the timing via the ECU

2) The knock sensor which alters the timing via the ECU.

3) The ECU map being incorrect for the spec of the engine

4) A faulty ECU

5) crap fuel causing premature ignition within the engine (which is what pinking is)

6) a loose dizzy (although you'd know about this when you check the timing!)

7) incorrect grade of spark plugs.

Good luck!

Thanks henny!

I have checked / changed everything on the car over the last 6 months...

Its going in again on saturday for remap again, steve @ darren are going to start from scratch as it can only be the engine map now.. everything is doing what it should be...

Its probably just a case of taking timing out in the map, its running 15psi in its current setup with the BVH and 65mm pulley etc so it maybe that backing the cam of a little to reduce boost pressure may also help, i had being doing a little research... the higher the boost you run the less timing advance you can get away with afaik?? it might very well respond better to a custom remap with slightly lower pressure if i retard the cam a few degrees...?