Sign in to follow this  
Robbo149

VR6 rear brakes - advice!

Hi all, since buying my VR6 'rado a couple of months ago, I've decided to try and get back into a bit of DIY maintainance (being an oldish motor an' all). One of the first jobs is to replace the rear discs & pads. Is there anything I need to be aware of or is it quite a straight forward job? Should I replace the wheel bearings at the same time?

cheers,

Robbo

If you're changing the rear disks it makes sense to change the bearings as well 'cos you'll probably knacker the old bearings trying to remove them from the old disks... For the price of them you'll have the peace of mind that they'll not go again for a long while! :D

The only thing to make sure is that you check the tightness of the hub nut after a week or so of driving as the grease that you pack the bearing in with will have moved and made the bearing become slightly loose. :?

It's a pretty easy job though... 8)

Robbo,

You will have to remove the caliper carriers before you can take the discs off. They are held on with allen head screws on the inboard side of the backplate and can be a real pig to shift. Strongly advise you get new ones before you start the job, they are only pennies. Don't even think about using the old bearings, it just isn't worth it. You may also want to think about replacing the ABS rotors as well, they are a push fit onto the back of the disc but you can deform them by trying to remove, they are also cheap.

Helpful hint - use the old bearing outer cages as a drift to knock the new ones into the disc.

Get yourself sorted with 8mm allen key for those carrier bolts. Socket kind is best cos you can knock it in with a hammer before undoing the bolts. Need 13mm and 15mm spanners.

Worth also buying a tool to wind back the pistons. Saves on swearing and knuckles.

Gavin

Worth also buying a tool to wind back the pistons. Saves on swearing and knuckles.

lol very true,but i made do with a pair of pliers and lots of swearing :lol:

I'm about to change my rear discs and pads this weekend and also the bearings. Does anyone recommend a particular disc/pad combination. I'm not sure whether to go with genuine parts, or try something different. How much do you think i'm looking at for the complete set??