Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Genuine and brand new RHD centre console guages....

....stumbled across a source of these, not cheap at £115 plus P+P but seriously tempted, think they add the finishing touch to a Corrado interior

Vagparts do them for much n such the same price btw

well worth splashing out on...........tho think they only fit later dashboards

That they do, don't forget you need a dual pole oil pressure sender aswell also sold by vagparts. Think its an extra 18 quid or so.

They look so good, very tempted to get a set of these.

Are they hard to wire up??

Can you post the details of what you need for the full install please.

these are the instructions Crazymarcel gave me when I bought my first set back in 2004

Hello,

Well done on gettin one, I've had a couple on order for other people from December still int got them, Luckily already got mine, yes i fitted mine myself, and too be honest with you i'm not the most mechanicly minded person like a lot of people on the forum, I'm just pickin things up as i go, and i don't think this is too hard to fit.

I will explain it as best i can,I'm not a technical term talker, please if you dont understand any of it, just ask, i can send u some pics as well which might help explain things if u need.

The job mainly involves a bit of wiring, removein the lower bits of the dash and an easy add to the engine.

To fit the unit in, all u have too do is take out the ashtray, then remove the screw u will see underneather where the ashtray sits, this pulls out a bit of platic/metal which holds the ashtray in, u can then fit the gauge panel into area and put all the other parts back, you will see two holes wher the unit screws into useing the 2 screws/nuts (part numbers can be found on my original post about unit on forum). but before u put it back together best get all the wiring in place

On the back of the gauge panel, u notice theres four pins.

Top one -

G Drunk - The top wire of the unit gos to your oil pressure sender. (find a route to the engine bay)

K1.15.12v - This wire is switched live once the ignition is switched on, for this i used scotch locks (Cable Lock Connectors HEF301) avalible from halfords type places allows a feed to be taken off a wire already in place, I used the wire that goes to the glovebox light for this.

k1.31 - This is an earth wire, quite a few places behind dash this could be taken off.

K1.5+bel - This wire dont know the technical term for tells the unit you have your lights on and hence illuminates dials, for this i used same scotch locks things and used the wire that powers the light in the ashtray (when u take ashtray holder out u will see this).

The parts of dash that i removed to get to everythin, was ashtray plus its holder, the lower tray passenger side, the passenger side bit that is to the right of the tray, and as i found the best place to feed a wire to be on the drivers side, i took out the lower tray and fusebox drivers side too.

If u feel inside the compartment where the unit will go, u will feel a plastic gromitie thing this is where u thread the wires to the back of the unit. so no cuttin of anythin required.

On the engine side of things, U should have a wire pokin from inside, which u would then have to guide round to front of engine, As my wire come from drivers side, i used a under the airbox route, wire needs to end up near the oil filter houseing, on top of that is two sensors, as u look down on engine i took the left hand sensor off, Assumeing u have the vw oil pressure sender and the adapter and extension like i used and not a other make one, u connect the oil pressure sender to the extension and the slide the over the thread of that and connect to car where original sensor went, u then connect the original sensor to the adpater, I have made a complete balls up of explaing that but will send u some pics to help explain that.

Once all the wires are connected and all the bits in place should work fine. Please ask any questions if i havent made sense.

please feel free to ask if i have missed anythin or not explained very well, I'm sure kevhaywire could explain better then me, but as his is one of the panels i was waiting for and he was gonna take a squiz at my car before fittin, dont think he could at the min.

Hope it all makes sense,

I actually got a VW tech to do mine as a casher,to save me ballsing it up :oops:

I didn't realise they were only for the later cars - suppose its saved me some money

the opening is slightly bigger on later ones so the panel won't fit properly in the early ones IIRC..........tho you could always try it for yourself

That they do, don't forget you need a dual pole oil pressure sender aswell also sold by vagparts. Think its an extra 18 quid or so.

Depends on the brand. The dealer specified VDO sender is a lot more than that, about £45-£50 IIRC.....but it's the most reliable of the lot.

Have made the purchase.

Read through the old thread for this and Phil K, who did you get to fit them for you?? Im not that far away and if i could would be interested in popping up and getting em sorted.

How much did he charge you Phil and do i need anything else for the install that wont come in the kit??

Cheers

Just wire... think it came to about £100 but was having other things done at the time so can't be too sure...

Mine have arrived today and i cant wait to get them wired up.

Have put them in the console and they look brilliant.

Ill be getting myself booked in as soon as poss to get em sorted!!

thanks, i shall google them asap - i thought the winter months were for resting your wallet ready for the summer - how wrong i was.

LOL......here's there number btw........quality service from them too

01793 487700

Has anyone tried to fit them to early dashboards?

Is it possible to cut them down to size with out messing them up too much?