Sign in to follow this  
blue95

Spot The Leak!!!

Think I may have 3 possible leaks!!

Oil, Water and PS fluid....I know these things come in threes but why all at once!!!!

In the pic below there is spot of oil about to drip off the filter, does the filter just need tightening up?

Also there is a drop of fluid on the bolt of the water pump that goes on the block, where has this water come from?

Also the PS pipe running along the cross member has some kind of oil on it? also it sags in the middle, ios this right? either end of the pipe are clean with no visible PS fluid run marks.

Think I may have 3 possible leaks!!

Oil, Water and PS fluid....I know these things come in threes but why all at once!!!!

In the pic below there is spot of oil about to drip off the filter, does the filter just need tightening up?

Also there is a drop of fluid on the bolt of the water pump that goes on the block, where has this water come from?

Also the PS pipe running along the cross member has some kind of oil on it? also it sags in the middle, ios this right? either end of the pipe are clean with no visible PS fluid run marks.

I'd try tightening the filter, only by hand though.... you don't want to too tight. could be from the oil cooler O ring or the pressure senders on the top too.

The PS pipe gets engine oil on it when you change the filter, it could be that....

Try checking all the clips are tight on the three water pipes going into the waterpump. they could be leaking, or the O ring between the pump body and the block could be leaking. To change this on a 16v you need to take the belts, the power steering pump, alternator and alternator mounting plate off, and remove the 4 bolts that hold it on. Then the water pump comes off.

I'd check everything is tight, clean all the leaks up, check the levels and run it for a few days and check for new leaks. See how much water/oil you are still losing.

the PS pipe is oily on EVERY Corrado I've ever seen under (except A20LEE, but that's 'cos he cleaned his! ;) )

Was hoping tp put the C away for few months over winter, might try tighening stuff and see how that goes for now.

I have topped up all fluids and plan to clean all bits that are dripping etc to try and spot what is coming from where.

the PS pipe is oily on EVERY Corrado I've ever seen under (except A20LEE, but that's 'cos he cleaned his! ;) )

LOL...OK could be down to 2 leaks now!!

PS fluid was just above the min mark (before I topped it up), TBH I have never checked it since I bought the car over a year ago.

check the oil pressure switch as they often go ...... start the engine then look for oil bubbling out of the plastic moulded top where the tab for the spade connector sticks out ...... when this switch fails oil is often sprayed onto the dip stick and surounding pipes, { looking a lot worse than it is}.... hopfully its the culprit as its easy to change and cheap.... mine went a few weeks ago

My first Corrado was a 1990 16V I bought in 94. I used to take it for servive at VW and every year they told me I needed new PS pipes as they leaked. Strange thing was that in the five years I owned it there was never one drop of fluid put in the reservoir???

My first Corrado was a 1990 16V I bought in 94. I used to take it for servive at VW and every year they told me I needed new PS pipes as they leaked. Strange thing was that in the five years I owned it there was never one drop of fluid put in the reservoir???

funny that !..... i have a 1991 16v and when i took it for a service at vw in march i was told the same thing and my level in the reservoir has never changed... weird

LOL.....Dealers Hey!!

Cheers for all your suggestions guys, will start having a proper look tommorow morning.