Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Another MFA Q

Been out to re-set the clock to DST (yeah I'm a slacker..) and noticed that it's not showing the right time, actually 5 minutes slow..

Now I know it wasn't the last time I set it, so.... Question is..

How does a digital clock "slow down"?

Or is it a sign my MFA's about to go kaput? :(

If we are only talking a few mins then there is always a slight inaccuracy within a clock, either digital or analogue and over time the fractions of a second will add up to give you slightly the wrong time.

Have you had the battery disconnected for a few minutes. That sometimes does it, you don't loose the time completely just a few mins.

Nope battery's been connected full time. Think I corrected it about 2-3 months ago.... quick for it to lose 5 mins?

I think there is something in the Bentley about a slow clock, (No that is not without the 'l' Baz!)

It depends on if you have VDO or Motometer set of clocks, ah sorry got my Bentley out of the garage!

The limits for a clock are that it can only loose 5 secs in 24 hours before a replacement MFA is required (I would speculate that it is that stringent due to the clock accuracy being the basis for MPG, trip time etc.)

So to check it I would try the following, note the 'real time of day' disconnect the battery, reconnect the battery when you are dead on a minute so the clock resets to 0:00. A the same time the following day the clock in the car should be within 5 secs of your other clock/watch.