Sign in to follow this  
_Monkey

Cylinder Head Porting & Polishing

standard 16v head doesn't flow more than my CNC head though and is a damned site harder to fit... :p :lol:

or just fit a std 16v head and flow more than a big v mega ported 8v.

oh but the grief of fitting it . ...

oh and the cnc heads flow as much as the 16v..

ok so its 1 less cfm on inlet and 17 more on outlet. so the exhaust is better standard and the inlet is less than 1 percent better.

so id say it flows more.

figures taken from ric woods site. the man himself

standard 16v head doesn't flow more than my CNC head though and is a damned site harder to fit... :p :lol:

Not strictly true Henny (although your block might be a bit larger there is still a restriction based on the head not the displacement of the block)

According to CNC's site the big valve G60 head flows 118.1 CFM on the inlet and 79.7 CFM on the exhaust.

By comparison the standard 16v head they tested flows 117.0 CFM on the inlet and a much healthier 91.2 CFM on the exhaust.

Although I completely agree that it is a much bigger PITA to fit :lol:

Polishing and porting is still very much a black art and unless you have access to a flow bench then the only route I can ever recommend for guarenteed power gains is to go to CNC heads/G werks. This is the only company that will give you a 1% tolerance on their quoted figures and as such provide a service unmatched by any other company.

the head that Rick quotes hasn't had the hand taping that mine has... I have the graphs in my lockup somewhere... :p

Like I say, mine was the full monty, big valve, hand taped CNC head and, from memory, the exhaust flowed the same as the standard valver head... :)

the hand porting is small. 1% extra/balance.

so a home ported 16v flows better for sure.

not trying to say they are shit as they aint. its just for the cost it maybe more worthwhile to do a 16v conversion. rather than peak the 8v stay well within the 16v's standard cast. the conversion will cost but if you want to stick to the glader then its probly not worth it anyway as the Glader can only just feed a valve enough air without exploding in my opinion.

the 16v head im having done is solid lifter with bigger valves on the exhaust side, custom springs etc. should flow.

sounds like it'll be a monster, and knowing you, it will live up to how it sounds... ;) 8)

spoke to ric the other week. he did a audi touring car 2l 16v 304hp NA. did a turbo job with a head similar to what he is doing for me (his i expect was more advanced £££££) and made 540hp at 1 bar.

its all in the flow.

he also said the short runner will have massive effects. not sure how this would effect a G60 but id expect a bigger plenum would help. think power engineereing used to do this with a std manifold and weld a bit in. belive a audi 5000 (10v turbo) has the same flange but bigger runners and plenum and a worth modded fit similar to the 20v 5cyl on the 16v

spoke to ric the other week. he did a audi touring car 2l 16v 304hp NA. did a turbo job with a head similar to what he is doing for me (his i expect was more advanced £££££) and made 540hp at 1 bar.

its all in the flow.

he also said the short runner will have massive effects. not sure how this would effect a G60 but id expect a bigger plenum would help. think power engineereing used to do this with a std manifold and weld a bit in. belive a audi 5000 (10v turbo) has the same flange but bigger runners and plenum and a worth modded fit similar to the 20v 5cyl on the 16v

Cut down RS2 manifold is more than up to the task too.

cut down rs2 is a shame mate. waste of a nice manifold IMO but i understand your point. basically its a bigger nicer looking s2 unit. it wont fit the G60 anyway as the flanges are different between 4v and 2v engines. the old 10v ones work well on the G60 as mentioned. maybe 10hp.

tempting.... Mine's been ported to within an inch of its' life, so can't be taken any further... Wonder where I can get one from and how much it'd be... :?:

cut down rs2 is a shame mate. waste of a nice manifold IMO but i understand your point. basically its a bigger nicer looking s2 unit. it wont fit the G60 anyway as the flanges are different between 4v and 2v engines. the old 10v ones work well on the G60 as mentioned. maybe 10hp.

I was only referring to the 16v head, no way it would fit on the G.

itll help henny. there was an american who run one on his corrado G60, 1.9 etc etc think he made around 260hp and run around 13 dead. fastest G60 Corrado ive heard of.

GazzaG60, hey, I'm not too far behind that power... 8) Wonder if my mate'll make up a nice titanium inlet manifold for me? 8)

We have just finished my own completly reshaped inlet which should really help drop straight onto the back of the valves..

We have just finished my own completly reshaped inlet which should really help drop straight onto the back of the valves..

mmmmmmmmm intrigued!!!!!!!

The factory G60 inlet manifold is not ideal, it is after just a slightly modified NA 8v manifold and as such can not be considered as designed for FI.

Mind you it is in the same league as the factory TB - noticeable improvement in throttle response just by a bit of knife edging really points towards the fact that VW thought the G ladder development was costing far too much.

I'm not saying it can't - I'm just saying it isn't easy!!!! And just a big valve head and a few other bits won't break it - Only Major mods will!!!!

Can't say I agree with you. On my old engine I had only minor (rather cheap) mods and it produced 220bhp and 240lb/ft.

rollenbank_krukas.jpg Don't mind the strange dip below 2700rpm, this was just a quick run to determine the peak values.

1.8 hydro 8v G60, no modifications to the PG block (which had 190k on it!)

1.4bar maximum boost, flowed charger, 65mm pulley driven by a cogged belt

Golf G60 FMIC

Standard head, 268/276 Schrick cam

Standard exhaust manifold, Supersprint exhaust

Digi1 management, grey 310ccm injectors with SLS RS-chip

Surely with a custom mapped chip there would have been somewhat more in it, but this was just for the time being. My new build engine will be mapped within the next month or so. :twisted: