Sign in to follow this  
Jon_vr6

steam coming from the grille

Edit read last post!! **

**Page 4 for pics of the offending part!**

Just another quick question is it normal for there to be steam coming from the front grille after a drive out with the car reaching between 90-100 oC theres also a bit of condensation on the front grille??

The engine was hot and i imagine the fans had been on and they definately work!!

You shouldnt have any steam coming from the engine unless there's water to evaporate and its got to come from somewhere. Either its been blasting down with rain or you've got a leak. Check the water level in the res, check the rad for leaks through the grill, might be worth removing to inspect have the engine on for this.

how wet was the road you drove down? could just be road water evaporating off the radiator...

Check the coolant level in your expansion tank to check it's not dropped any and keep an eye on it until you're happy it's not dropping any and that it was just rain water steaming off the hot radiator... ;)

I had this once on my old valver after i'd been driving and it started to lash it down.. I guessed it was rain sizzling on the radiator! If it does it often (and not when it's been raining!) then there is something wrong!

could water have got trapped on the sill between the radiator and the front grille and heated up causing the steam??

I had it started the other day to double check that the fans come at the right time and they did and there was no steam then!!

So most probably water gettin trapped will double check the resevior to see!!

it rained the other day and i put the car straight in the garage and didnt use it yesterday so most probably water build up!

And it is cold so more noticable!

If it was the radiator leaking there would be water under the car wouldnt there?? And there isnt any!

Check all the plastic mouldings around the thermostat housing, temp sensors etc. I had a whole load of fun with those last year and ended up replacing the lot. I'd done the rad the year before too!

Just get your engine hot, ticking over with the thermostat open and look around everywhere with a torch, chances are you'll see it squirting out somewhere.

What's the system pressure like, can you squeeze the hoses OK? If not, and you haven't already, swap to a blue expansion tank cap as you could be running too much pressure.

that little 's' bend pipe is good for perishing.the one off the front crack pipe.'o' rings inside the crackpipe/thermo housing are good for splitting.and jubillee clips dont seal alway round under pressure on a modded vr-trust me i know.spring loaded does the job.

the one off the front crack pipe.'o' rings inside the crackpipe

dood was the crack pipe an optional extra ? i didnt get one on mine - denied :afro:

Did mine without taking the front panel out, took me 6 hours, a real nightmare! Then I saw how the front panel came out, reckon you'd do it easilly in half that time.

Grill off, headlights out, bumper off, front panel out and it's there in front of you.

Cant imagine itll be too difficult but as tonedef has said itll take some time.

Might be a good idea to get some help from someone, an extra pair of hands would be ideal.

will do ill have my mechanic mate doin most of it as a foreigner rather give him the money for doing a job then it goin into the company he works for if im honest!

Fully qualified mechanic passed recently and is now managing the repair shop at audi stockport and is still getting a trainees salery what a load of crap!

Sounds like a handy man to have on your side.

Sure itll be tickety boo...

How much the rad set you back??

I paid £112+vat (parts club price) for a VAG radiator about a month ago. Not a fun job to do, i pulled it all out through the engine bay took many attempts swearing it wasn't possible, then all of a sudden it just popped out as though it was made to do so.