Sign in to follow this  
oxfordpaul

Clutch snatches esp in second

Can anyone help with my clutch problem please? I've spent loads of money on a new clutch, linkages, guides and bushes and now have an as-new gear change which is great. However, when the clutch is released the take-up is really sharp, especially in 2nd gear - i.e. it's as if I need to release the pedal really slowly to make it smoother, otherwise it just drops into gear with a thud which isn't normal.... The garage have said they investigate further and mentioned the clutch release bearing but I can't imagine this would have that effect? Is it to do with the hydraulic clutch mechanism? Is it anything to do with the fact that my clutch creaks when I press it in?

Well that's what I thought but they seemed a bit sketchy on this. As for engine mounts, I had the one on the gearbox changed but the other 2 remain... has anyone else experienced this?

Mine used to be very similar to what you describe (appart from the creaking) before having both the engine mounts and gearbox mount replaced, it's improved a heck of a lot now but isn't as smooth as I'd like when engaging a gear, although as far as I'm aware it's still on the original clutch and gearbox (it's currently on about 151K miles)

Possibly a bit of crap on the splined shaft?

Or a wrongly used lubricant on the shaft?

Either can cause a sort of 'sudden' clutch engagement...

Not sure what else to suggest really,apart from maybe not being bled up properly?

Not too familiar with hydraulic set up :oops:

Neil.

Thanks for the help guys. Where is the splined shaft? Is that in the gearbox? It's going back on Thurs for more investigation. I'm more inclined to think it's something to do with the hydraulic clutch system but don't know much about it.

I reckon it's a combination of clutch brand and rear engine mount.

What clutch did you use? SACHS or LUK. VW ones use Sachs friction disc and LUK plate and is so far the best kit I've tried as I've had all 3 due to warranty claims.

Mine does the same. The plates engage with a thud, rather than the smoother, more progressive (but much heavier) feel of the original clutch.

I know for a fact my gearbox mount is knackered and it's mostly down to that, but I'm changing the clutch for an American brand in January anyway, so I'll see how that compares.

I'm not sure what clutch was used but suspect an original VAG one. The problem was exactly the same before the clutch weas replaced so i'm inclined to think it's not the clutch itself. It's going in again at the weekend...

I have the same with mine, although its still on the original clutch as far as i am aware @150k. I am pretty sure its the rear engine mount. I ve just fitted a vibratechnics comp front mount and a new gearbox mount.

I now get very little movement using the accel pedal on/off but when I rush the change it tends to lurch. I am going to replace the rear mount as I ve done the rest hopefully this will cure the problem. If not I am having the chains and clutch done in a couple of months ....