Sign in to follow this  
eatthis

vr6 supercharger + nos?

i own a golf vr6 with stock internals (apart from 268 cams which are being replaced by stock cams).

im running a v9f supercharger with a 12 psi pulley it actually makes 11 psi and figures of 267 lb ft and 303 bhp. the slight problem is im not running an intercooler and the charger and inlet manifold (metal) gets rather toasty would a basic nos kit cool the inlet mani as well as add some power/torque?

also im towards the limit regarding the amount of boost i can run on stock compression will nos make any diffrence 1 way or the other??

what are the positives and negatives of a basic nos kit with this setup? ie what kind of extra stress would it put on the engine??

thanks in advance

i have looked at this mate, and yeh it's very doable but i have found somewhere that does soom very neat charge coolers, if you want the site let me no.

karl

surely it would be a safer bet to run some aqua mist rather than nos, as won't nos add to the heat in the combustion chambers as it will be burning hotter. charge cooler and methonal I reckon would be better.

from my understanding nos actually acts as a coolant in the combustion process, but due to normally bumping up the power primarily it will put more strain on everything too.

ive got an intercooler recently which fits perfectly and the surface area is almost exactly the same as the plastic trim just above the splitter (easier on a golf!) ive been guaranteed a boost drop of less than 1psi and it was under a 1er! im also plumming in the mist as we speak. Going to wait on the intercooler and smaller pulley until the engine gets rebuilt and i can afford a short runner though :-(

your lucky running the vortec on a golf 3, they do a toothed belt kit dont they? so once youve made up your mind on the above you can go mad with pulley sizes!!

This place does the chargecoolers Storm Developments use (IIRC) - http://www.chargecooler.co.uk/

NOS is fine to use as a coolant, maybe a basic 50 shot kit.

Personally I'd prefer to use intercooling purely because I can't be bothered with plumbing in NOS and the hassles of having to refill the bottle.

I read somewhere that NOS is actually more effective on Diesel engines and if installed by an approved dealer, it's road legal to install and use too!

thats the cooler i have coming today/tomorrow kev, looks like a good bit of kit, and it looses only 0.05bar. ordering the C2 manifold this week also. :D

I have had Nitrous and a Vortech V9 on my car for years, what ever people want to say is fine but if you want it just do it, it'll work, use a 25 shot for the cooling effect and this will stop any pinking be significantly cooling everything down, it goes in at -160C and won't give much difference in combustion temps.

Mine is fitted with 100bhp jets.

It will wirk even better when you get round to fitting an FMIC too, then you'll be able to out accellerate the Wire whilst the bottle lasts.

Chris

thats the cooler i have coming today/tomorrow kev, looks like a good bit of kit, and it looses only 0.05bar. ordering the C2 manifold this week also. :D

Not a fan of it personally, but hope it works out.

Sorry, both are OK. I read it too quickly and thought you were talking about something else.

Have you got your slimline fans ready for the intake?

Chargecooler looks good, you'll have to let me know what you think as I considered that one before getting the Schimmel one.

ok kev, i will let everyone know how i get on when all is fitted/mapped. just deciding if i should go 12psi?? or 15psi?? is it worth the extra 3psi as i will need head bolts etc etc.

there is a place near me that does Spal fans at a good price. but the guy is telling me the Kenlowe fans he sells are cheaper, and due to the fan pattern are more efficient, and more air is produced by them. so will pop over when i get all the stuff ready.

A chargecooled 12psi will be nice. 15psi better obviously, but I personally wouldn't want to lower the compression ratio on a supercharged engine as it will blunt the bottom end pick up, especially with your C2 Quickflow on there.

SPAL and Kenlowe are very similar in CFM outputs but SPAL are the most reliable.

No problemo ;-)

You will get a bit of boost loss through that PWR chargecooler mate (Bill Schimmel used them a few years back), so might be worth getting the 15psi pulley to see, maybe 12-13, at the throttle? Should work well with stock compression and give good bottom end. C2 intake will give you a good size plenum for the boost. Should be a cracking motor when finished 8)

For the fans, 1 x 11" and 1 x 9" (9" at throttle end) on the rad works well, although I've found just one 11" SPAL hooked up to speed 1 seems to work remarkably well on it's own!