Sign in to follow this  
mariovr6

vr all steaming up

today i was driving along when i got a nasty shock

steam started flying out of my heater vents, it was like i was boiling a kettle inside my car????? turned the car off n it carried on for about 5 mins.....

what the hell caused this to happen?

hey ive removed plasic under the glove box and removed the glove box but cant see what im ment to remove next? im assuming to my left in the round plastic is the heater fan and to the right the black plasic square box is where id find the matrix?............. what do i do next? how do i this thing out? there is water in the square box so assume it is a leaking metrix?

The matrix leaking is the only thing that causes the vent to steam like you say. Read the Knowledge Base for a quick guide on how to change the Matrix. Though I have also heard that it is a dash out job.

i have looked at the knowledge base but cant see whats ment to be removed

yes it does have air and i think thats making it even harder as there are 2 thick pipes running between the heater blower and matrex box so i cant see much

You wont see it without removing at least half the dash. The best thing to do for now is unplug the two bits of coolant pipe that run in from the engine to the dash, and join them togther, You will have no heating anymore but likewise you wont run the risk of dumping all of your coolant in the carpets.