Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

What to do with all the stuff behind the dash???

Right so I'm just about ready to start stripping out the interior of my black rado - the plan is to remove everything that isn't needed to remove as much weight as possible. Interior, dash, any motors I can junk, etc. I also plan to brace it up and maybe put a half cage in.

Question: what do i do with all the sh*te behind the dash? I want to keep it just road legal, so will need to keep basic functions and blown air etc. Do you think its possible to 'tidy' up everything behind the dash or do you think i'll need to make some sort of 'cover'? To be honest the rest of the interior is going to be completely trimless so i'm not bothered what it looks like. I'm more concerned about safety/mot etc.

And how hard would it be to change leccy windows to manual winders?

Cheers :)

And Happy New Year!

You just trying to make a rocket here double-6s???

There must be a quite a bit you can bin in the dash, everything excpet vent and clocks could go.

Converting the windows must be quite straight forward as its converting to electric ones that is tricky.

I saw someone on here was making a metal dash cover that you could use to hide whatever left but i cant find the link..

I'm just trying to make a proper fun car mate :)

I think I'm going to buy a cheap diesel estate for 'everyday' use (when anyone else needs a lift) and turn the rado into a hooning tool.

Was thinking about eventually junking the whole dash and instrument 'cowling' etc and getting a stack display of some sort. Not too sure how expensive/tricky that would be yet though, as I want to keep it road legal obviously :)

hi there Will, hope you had a cracking xmas mate. just ambulance chasing again :lol: if your stripping your interior out?? what ya doing with the rear leather bench????

Karl

nee nah nee nah nee nah :)

howdy mate. yeah we had a great one thanks - i had the kids all week so its been cracking and i've been able to act like a kid all week! :)

haven't really decided what to do yet mate - i might keep the leather and everything so i can put it all back together if i fancy. if i sell you've got 1st dibs matey :)

Not sure you'd be allowed to junk the dash for a car you need to get MOTs on. I mean, there's probably a fair few sharp edges underneath, you'll need to protect them at least.

Not sure you'd be allowed to junk the dash for a car you need to get MOTs on. I mean, there's probably a fair few sharp edges underneath, you'll need to protect them at least.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Thats why I thought I might have to make some sort of cover or something.

What about 'softening' any sharp bits with foam pads or something? Probably just a case of taking it out and identifying all the offending areas and go from there.

interested in a full set of perspex windows (not front windsreen)? Drivers & passenger side windows have a sliding air vent.

Hmmm....

What condition are they in mate? Any pics? And how much would you be after for them?

Sorry to be dumb but is that rear sides as well?

i'm not sure if the same rules apply regarding the sharp edges behind the dash as its not a kit car, there have been plenty of completely stripped bare cars that i have seen go through an mot, the vw motorsport shifter wouldnt even pass the sva but people who fit them to golfs and rado's have no problems with the mot, i cant really see anything behind the rado dash that would cause a problem with the mot.