Sign in to follow this  
Steve B

Windscreen replacement - question for those who know...

Unfortunately have a large crack in my windscreen that now requires replacement...

Ill be having it done on the insurance, and have done the searches etc on this forum, and read several posts.

Please can someone who knows advise as to what parts i should look to get replaced whilst the screen is changed.

I gather it would be best to get a new seal put in, how about the side plastics and top plastic on the outside of the screen? Anything else i should be asking for when i make the call?

Also can anyone tell me how the top trim is removed from inside the car, the one that runs along the top of the windscreen, as i think it would be better if i remove all the bits i can prior to the fitter coming!

Im in the Southampton area, So if anyone knows of an Auto glass branch which has done a good job on Corrados in the past i would appreciate the mention!

Thanks for any help, im trying my best to avoid another disaster on a Corrado windscreen!

Cheers!

If you have no cracks you should be able to us the old trim. You have two parts: 1, the rubbber that goes around the A pillars and 2, the plastic trim that snaps in around the glass.

For some reason the glass shop I went to used some crappy one piece rubber seal that well...looks like crap. :bad-words:

g60 Greeny had his done recently and managed to get the one with the tint across the top.

He was happy with is so might be worth dropping him a line.

Yes i had a new screen last summer, i had one with the tint across the top and was very happy with it, only cost a extra £5 too. make sure you properly clean the bottom inside of your dash while the old screen is out.

I had mine done about six months ago, I managed to get all the plastics replaced, including the lower trim, after speaking to the fitters (RAC) who were happy to fit and supply provided that they had authorisation from my insurance Co. This was all included in the cost of mu claim so only the excess was paid. I also insisted on a genuine VAG screen as I had a pattern one fitted on my old valver which whistled!, they ended up fitting it twice and the probem was still there so a genuine one was fitted in the end.

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

VR6 South, Dont suppose you know which branch of RAC did your screen do you, or the fitter, would be good to get some guys who have done one before round... any info would be cool!

Cheers fellas!

Yeah Vr6 South.. please do tell! i am going to be in need of a new screen soon.. so will need to know of someone that can do a decent job!

Cheers for the info VR6 South,

Is this the place, tis the only branch i can find in pompey:

RAC Auto windscreens

Unit 7 Mountbatten Bus Prk

Jackson Close

PO6 1UR

Also, did you have any probs, or did they literally do a good job all round?

Cheers again!

I had mine done about six months ago, I managed to get all the plastics replaced, including the lower trim, after speaking to the fitters (RAC) who were happy to fit and supply provided that they had authorisation from my insurance Co. This was all included in the cost of mu claim so only the excess was paid. I also insisted on a genuine VAG screen as I had a pattern one fitted on my old valver which whistled!, they ended up fitting it twice and the probem was still there so a genuine one was fitted in the end.

I had the same problems,it leaked so had to be refitted.

The seal comes with the screen so you shouldnt have to ask for a new one

Mine was supplied and fitted twice by RAC windscreens.

I would watch what they do to the scuttle black panel below the windscreen,they managed to crack mine :roll: :agrue: :agrue: :mad2: :mad:

Livid was not the word! :cry:

i got my mine done we the rac through the insurance,only cost me 50quid an i got the top tint screen,although theyu re-used my old rubbers,u may be better off lettin the rac guy do it all,then if any damage is caused then they have to get it sorted,when they did mine they did a full check of every mark slight dent,even noticed a little mark on the seat. so if u notice any damage they havent marked on the check sheet then i would presume they would have to get it repaired?anyway they made a good job on mine so i wouldnt worry to much,mind u i took mine to there workshop rather than have a fitter come out,(the sealant wont go off if the temps not right)

Cheers for the info VR6 South,

Is this the place, tis the only branch i can find in pompey:

RAC Auto windscreens

Unit 7 Mountbatten Bus Prk

Jackson Close

PO6 1UR

Also, did you have any probs, or did they literally do a good job all round?

Cheers again!

That's the place. I was very specific about what I wanted and they agreed with my idea to repace the trims and supported my claim for my insurance Co to pay for the parts as they "HAD" to be replaced as part of the job. No complaints with the workmanship at all :D

Cheers VR6 South, ill be giving them a call later to discuss my needs then!

I would watch what they do to the scuttle black panel below the windscreen,they managed to crack mine

Livid was not the word!

Does anyone know how the three piece scuttle trim comes off the corrado (i.e. the bit the wiper splines poke through)?

I see its clipped onto the metal below it at the bottom, but the top of the trim seems to be bonded to the lower part of the windscreen, is this the case? Just wondering if this is part and parcel of the 'trim' that i could get replaced as part of the windscreen fitting?

Many thanks again, this is helping to clear things up no end!

the three piece trim is meant to be clipped on, and there are also screws at either end, you should be able to pull the front edge up and then push the trim towards the rear of the car and it should relese but as the clips are usually broken or missing most windscreen places bond them down, i had to use a craft knife with the blade all the way out to get at the sealant under the trim while lifting the edge up.

Looks like i will have to ring up Elephant and see who they use for windscreen cover.. or can i specify a company..?

Ideally i will take it to the portsmouth RAC windscreen branch and have it doen there if i can...

Just thought id report that i had my screen replaced at this place.

Actual fitting of the screen was fine, guy did a good job. Also got scuttles replaced as part of the job.

All I can say to anyone (as usual) is check the car over inch by inch BEFORE you sign the paperwork, if they can get away with damage they will...