Sign in to follow this  
Whitedog

Headlight Loom

Hi All

I recently purchased an uprated loom off ebay....

this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Corrado-golf-m ... dZViewItem

It arrived very promptly however i am a little confused with the instructions. They are meant to be easy to fit, i am a fairly competant person when it comes to things like this, however i am no engineer.

I've attached the instructions below for people to see if they can shine any light on it for me or to explain in easier instructions. I dont even think i have got everything i need to fit it.

Some one please help :(

oh, is it just me being a bit dim then, or are you an electrical engineer.. ha ha.

i didnt realise you had to start splicing things into the fuse box etc, i just thought it would just connect to your battery with maybe having to splice it to the headlights.

All this relay 87 stuff caught me off guard a bit.

Hi,

I'm an electronics engineer by trade... I've been looking into putting my own design on the market - because from what I've heard this seller on ebay doesnt sell the best product. It's a rip off because all he is supplying is a relay, fuse, bit of cable & a few connectors!!! If I was going to market it, I would be including the H4 (headlight) connectors & to install it all it would take would be to attach the loom to the battery (+) & tap two wires from the headlight wiring loom...(of which I would clearly state colour etc). I'll be designing & making batches of looms soon, so keep an eye out!

Anyway, that aside - You will need some crimp terminals (Blue 2.5mm terminals - 6mm rings etc for the connection to the battery) , a crimp tool, wiring diagram (to identify the correct wires to tap into)... Not the clearest instructions on the world! What part do you need specific help on?

Andy.

hi andy

yup, this is what i thought it would be like. Wish i'd have known you were going to be doing them sooner....

Most of it i can understand...ie taking the reading and splicing into the headlights, but it sounds as thought i'm gonna have to undo the fuse box to gain access to the rear. Its just that he didnt mention this, plus i'm going to have to buy some more extra length of 20 amp wire.

Its sure gonna take longer than the 15 mins he reckons and i dont really think you could describe it as childs play like he does.

You dont need to go anywhere near the fusebox!!!

passenger side light -

Cut yellow wire (should be yellow anyway) connect wire still in the loom to the wire going to terminal 86 of the relay.

the wire coming from the bulb should be commected to terminal 87 of the relay.

Drivers side: -

cut yellow wire, tape wire back into loom, wire from bulb then gets connected to relay.

then connect termina 80 to earth, and terminal 30 to battery via 20amp fuse.

For main beams repeat but with the white wire (i think!)

I think most people use spade connectors so that if/when it fails it can be taken out and put back to standard in a few minutes

It really is a 15 minute job for anyone who is competant! i made my own and it only took me half hour, and im useless when it comes to making things!!

You won't need to get the back of the fuse box... I'll re-write the instructions for you & post them later today. What was included? Does it look exactly as it does in the picture on ebay?

Andy.

Cheers dub nut,

This sounds a bit easier, i'll take a shot of whats included for you andy, this would be much appreciated. Was it your instructions that were posted on matey matey???

Oh my God! £18 for that!

Let me price the materiels up for you:

Relay: £2-£3

Fuse holder: £1.50

Fuse: £0.15

Wire: £0.10

Connectors: around 3p each... Total: £3.99!

Andy.

I knew it would be cheap to make, its just i didnt know how to make it.

I'm actually chuffed as i thought it would of cost about £2 to make ha ha. Could you make the instructions any easier then or are they about as easy as they get???

:lol:

Just writing the instructions for you now btw - Sat at work - at least it looks like work!

Ha ha, cheers andy, your a star.

Instructions!

On the H4 connector that goes to the back of the headlight nearest the battery:

•Probe around to find the dip beam wire (using a multi meter – Havent got my manual with me so don’t know what colour it is!).

•Once found, cut in the wire. The end coming from the original loom, connect to pin 85 on the relay. (or marked “switch black/yellow”)

•Connect the end going to the headlight bulb to pin 87. ( or marked “headlight”)

•On the other headlight loom cut the same wire. Insulate using tape the end coming from the original loom.

•The other end (going to the headlight bulb) connect to pin 87 - make sure it’s the same end as the other headlight. (or marked “headlight”)

•Connect – earth to pin 86 on the relay.

•Connect + battery live to 30 on the relay

•Connect battery live to + on the battery

•Connect battery earth to – on the battery.

•Secure the fuse & relay.

•Discount the dim-dip resistor

It's similar to do than it sounds, trust me!

Andy.

Cheers andy, i think i can now work it out from this, my relay is only marked up as 1, 2, 3, and 4 so this makes it easier for me.

Where will i find the dim dip resistor???

Dim dip resistor is inside the wind infront of the battery, should be a yellow tube type thing. just disconnect the plugs.

all your relay connects are done for you so you can skip all the 'connect to pin X of the relay' steps. any questions just shout!

On sciroccos its located by the near side headlight. Theres a two way connector with two yellow wires coming out of it. Just disconnect the plug.

Not sure on corrados yet - Pick mine up later! :)

Andy.

Andy & Dubnut, you two are legends, many many thanks for helping me understand the instructions.

As with everything, its only easy if you know it....

Thanks

I'll report back how i get on.

Whitedog, i got the same loom of the same gu a few months back. i've been tinkering with cars and bikes for years, not an expert but fairly compintent. but ialso didn't quite get the instructions. After fitting the loom, i lost my side lights - on the switch inside the car, the frist click is for side lights, the second for main beam, and on the stalk for high beam. but now i have only main beam on first click, and have to second click if i want to activate the high beam. i followed the colour coding and did it all right as far as i can tell, but something seems to be wrong so wripped it all out, and now awaiting someone like andy_vw to make a nice loom with proper connectors, not silly little blue things needing to cut papart the original loom. got quite a mess there now.

there is alink in the supplers bit to an Andy (not sure if the same) who makes them - or used to - http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46291

If dipped beams come on when you just press the head light swith to first position you didnt disconnect the dim dip resistor AFAIK. Thry should of stayed on dipped when the switch was put to the second step.

Ah yes, the infamous cr4p quality uprated headlight loom............from the same eBay seller of the famous G60 dump valve kit !

Seriously, these kits are not worth the money and are supposed to be waterproofed and shrink sealed ! Better off buying a decent quality one from guys on here or making your own. Good luck with fitting mate !

Cheers all, i can definately see now that its not worth the money, yet you dont know till you get it i suppose. I'll be using proper connectors and heat shrink so that i am satisfied with it and if it doesnt work once i have done everything correctly and disconnected the resistor then it'll be going back.

I'll report back once i have tried fitting it.

Cheers again.

Andy, put me down for one of yours as soon as you make one up!!

More than happy to come and pick it up too!

I am looking for a kit too Andy. I think there are a fair few people after one, so i'm sure it would be worth your while !

oh why wasn't this thread posted before i bought one of them off ebay :x

as i have gone and bought the main/dip one £35.50, not tried to fit it yet poxy rain

only had the car about 7 weeks and i think its rained every day since :twisted: