Sign in to follow this  
penfoldvr6

De-Cat pipe on a vr6

I'm thinking about buying a de-cat pipe for my vr6.

Could anyone help me by telling me what sort of gains I should expect from the engine.....and how will affect me come M.O.T time if any?

THANKS

how will affect me come M.O.T time if any?

It will fail i would imagine, you might get a small gain in performance and a slightly better sound but for the sake of come MOT time i dont think its worth it personally.

Its not a massive hassle. The biggest hassle I imagine would be getting the thing off first. After that its a pretty quick to jack it up and swap it over.

But it wont pass an MOT with a decat on, nope.

Just swap the cat back on before the MOT. Lots of garages are willing to do this, or do it yourself ;)

I fitted one and I saw the same improvement again as I did when I first fitted the stainless cat back. It makes the car breath so much better, I noticed more improvement in driving around town as it seemed more effortless.

My MoT is due soon so I am allowing time to buy a new set of nuts & bolts and an hour to change it over. Well worth it in my opinion.

Easy to change 3 bolts one end, undo the lambda slip off the other end. I run one seems to give a little more in the upper rpm regions. o and it also doesnt stink when your heavy with the right foot.

I'm thinking about buying a de-cat pipe for my vr6.

Could anyone help me by telling me what sort of gains I should expect from the engine.....and how will affect me come M.O.T time if any?

THANKS

It has to be replaced with the standard cat for the mot.

I got mine on the other day. I dont know about the gains to standard vr6s but for supercharged ones its fantastic! It picks up alot quicker - it goes at 3000 and again at 4000 as opposed to 4000 and again at 5000 as it did before!

As for the noise difference, my other half reckons it sounds like a porsche. Fab deep burble!

Probably not much help to you but i thought id share anyway :)

If they make a big difference with supercharged vr's then i might get one when i supercharge mine, and the porsche sound cant be bad :D

I certainly noticed an improvment with one on my VR. Pulls better, sounds throaty (but not much more louder) and is much more torquey. I had good improvments with a K&N filter and a cheap chip off eBay but had the same improvments again with the de-cat pipe.

Only problem is it does sound like it has a slight air leak in it at idle (very slight) and under hard acceleration. It hasn't made it much louder though you can just hear an 'airy' noise.

I have been told that thats how the miltek de-cat sounds (I have to say the quality of the miltek is shit IMO) but I really dunno about that.

The bonus is that at MOT time, it passed as the readings were all under the allowance and as it's a '92 it doesn't require a cat by law according to Mr. MOT man. :)

as it's a '92 it doesn't require a cat by law according to Mr. MOT man. :)

JUST! The new laws are much more stringent on emissions and its harder (almost impossible) get past without a cat if your supossed to have one.

Your a lucky boy Joniboy!

oooohhhh go on then....."It would be rude not to" :drinking:

JUST GONE ON EBAY AND BOUGHT MYSELF ONE.......another weekend job to do. ha ha

Think a cat is required by law after August 1992. However, no MOT tester will be too bothered as long as it passes the emissions- which it probably wouldn't anyway.

Think a cat is required by law after August 1992. However, no MOT tester will be too bothered as long as it passes the emissions- which it probably wouldn't anyway.

With the new machines and the way the tests are done, you cant get passed without a cat if you are required to have one. It not just the emissions its the type of emissions as well.