Sign in to follow this  
dom

handling

had a nervous back end for a while on c it happens when you are turning to the right at higher speeds scars the s**t out of you the back end just wont,s to go when on roundabouts the back end does go but only when you turn right if you are turning left the c feels normal and safe does the c have the same rear bush problem as the mk2 golf had ??

sorry about the english its a dyslexic thing

With roundabouts and stuff you tend to turn right in your car more than you do left, so whatever it is thats worn out will show itself on righthanders first.

Mine's exactly the same btw

wierd i throw mine round like its on fire and it doesnt budge , if i push it really hard i can get all 4 wheels sliding but the rear doesnt let go first but mine is lowered on koni collies

Yeah, it's certainly not normal. Mine needs all kinds sorting suspension wise. Sounds like Dom's is heading the same way.

i throw mine round like its on fire and it doesnt budge

So looking forward to being able to say that! :)

Mine's exactly the same btw

Ditto, so, how many bushes are there (front and rear) that would need changing to get a decent "tight" feel back. (Running on normal suspension)??

If anyone can answer this, then gonna get it all done, new shocks all round and sort it all out in one fell swoop.

Oh and a rough price wouldn't go amiss...

Cheers guys...

If the bushes have never been changed on the car then definately get them replaced as it will transform the feel of the car significantly.

mattnorgrove, the main bushes to change are the rear axle bushes, front wishbone bushes and ARB bushes, these will make the car feel generally more stable and should handle a lot better if your old ones are gone.

As for a price then i hope you are sitting down, the parts aren't expensive at all but its all labour as the rear axle bushes and front wishbone bushes have to be pressed in and out which means taking the whole wishbones off and mostly the whole rear axle. I got a quote from my local garage to do all mine and it came to over £400 and that was from guys i know, i read in another thread that Stealth charge £300 just for the rear axle :shock:

If you are mechanically minded you could certainly do the fronts yourself as you can just replace the whole wishbones which come with the bushes from GSF for about £35 each and the ARB bushes aren't expensive but i think you need to drop the sub frame to get to them. But then its just the rears you will be stuck with!

Good luck :)

Rob.

Got the handling issues your talking about on a mk2 Golf, turning right it feels tight, turning left the steering feels light and the car dives so lifting the rear left wheel far to easily. Local garage is looking today as I can't be arsed in this weather so will let you know what they say.

Betting its the rear bushes, think that cost me about £170 labour last time I got that done, and if I remember correctly the bias valve needed replacing because that had to come off aswell for some reason.

Another thing to watch out for when getting all the bushes changed is that due to the car being quite old other parts can brake/go wrong etc when taking it all apart, the garage will usually point this out, a main example is the brake lines etc so just a heads for up for you guys :wink:

at least we seem to be getting somewhere so far its been to 3 garages they take it for a drive come back all get is feels fine to me :shock:

think i am just going to replace the lot so at least its done c isn,t going nowwere

Don't forget your 'top mounts' if these are shagged they can affect you ride & handling, if your thinking about upgrading your suspension its worth getting it all done at the same time as you'll save on labour costs in the long run!

Yep, Corrado uses the MK2 Golf (mk3 for VR6) rear beam and bushes and seems to wear suspension parts and bushes faster that it's Golf equivilent.

Got the Golf back from the garage on friday, they gave it some stick and recon it handles well, just that the power steering was giving more assistance one way than the other so giving the illusion it was gripping better one way than the other (heavier feedback) so probably just overcorrecting. Tightened the PAS belt and it now feels alot more neutral. Maybe worth checking if yours has PAS.