Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Help with Moonroof

I've tried searching but couldn't find an answer.

A previous owner installed a Moonroof but it's not working properly, I've only had the car about 6 weeks so I'm trying to fix it.

Trying to get the headling out but how the hell does the interior trim around the sunroof blind come off? Does it need to come off to get the headling out? I'm guessing it does.

Also does the trim panel that runs across the top of the front screen need to come off to remove the headling? It's an absolute pain to get off but don't want to force it and break something.

I've managed to remove all the other pieces of trim but I'm stuck now. Any help is much appreciated.

What is the 'Star' screw size for removing the sunroof panel? I need to buy a driver for this.

Thanks

Dave

I'm assuming you are stuck on the piece of interior trim that surrounds the sunroof 'hole' as it were. It just pulls off, look for the join, then pull it towards the centre of the hole. It's this that holds the headlining up all the way round the hole.

The trim panel across the windscreen does ideally need to come off, you could probably get the headlining out without removing it but you'd never get the headlining back in again with the trim in place.

Yes that's the interior trim I'm on about. I tried pulling it away but it seemed very tightly held in place but didn't want to force it. I'll pull a little harder.

Any idea the best way to remove the front trim across the windscreen? I tried levering it away with a screw driver but it started to make inpressions in the headlining. I take it there are clips holding it in place, are these likely to break?

I've taken a couple off without breaking them, I can't quite remember how its held though, I'd assume it was just a push fit. Might be best for someone else to confirm this though.

Right I've just had a bugger of a job getting the front screen trim panel off. Windscreen has been replaced in the past because there was about 10" of adhesive holding it down one side. As a result I've had to break the trim off just to get it off :( :x

The trim around the sunroof came off ok though.

Thanks for your help.

That sounds familiar, the person who changed my windscreen put the adhesive on with a trowel by the looks of it! Glad you got it sorted.

Eventually got the headlining and sunroof panel out tonight. I've figured out the motor hadn't been set-up in the correct position when it went back in and also the cables each side were not aligned correctly. Now that's done there is a problem with the lifter on one side - it's sitting too high and not engaging properly when dragging the roof back. I think the back end where the small Black rubber band needs packing up a little.

Apart from the above it seems to be working fine, just needs a good lubing up.

Investigated the lifter (or whatever cast metal part it is) and it seems it was slightly bent which is why it wouldn't engage. Tried to clamp it back down...........snap! So out came the sunroof frame, which I didn't want to do and removed the bent part which luckily was the part that went snap.

Hopefully I can get a replacement from VAG.

GIXXERUK, Thanks for the info but I've already got those docs. They refer to the Corrado sunroof but I have the Passat glass roof, they're not that far off anyhow.

I've identified the part I need, it's the guide that the rocker attaches to. It's mostly hidden in the channel.

Had to grin and bear the inevitable - got back from the Stealers today with a new repair guide coming in at £34 and I only manged to get a measly 5% off, oh Joy!

I've just refitted the sunroof with the new part and it's working sweet! The only question I have before I start refitting the trim is, when the blind is closed and the roof is tilted the blind is automatically pushed back about 100mm, is this normal as I suspect it is?

Thanks

mine doesnt do that , the blind stays closed if i tilt it

I'm thinking that if you tilt the sunroof then you want fresh air and you won't get it if the blind is closed so it opens it for you just as it does when the roof is opened fully.

Can anyone else confirm this?

GIXXERUK, Thanks for that, I'll go ahead and refit the trim anyway. The blind still works manually as well.

i've had both styles of moonroof - the first i fitted had no vents in the blind and when tilted, it opened as you say to give a flow of air - moonroofs from later cars have vents in the blind - the one i have fitted currently has vents and doesn't need to slide back to provide an airflow when tilted

i've had both styles of moonroof - the first i fitted had no vents in the blind and when tilted, it opened as you say to give a flow of air - moonroofs from later cars have vents in the blind - the one i have fitted currently has vents and doesn't need to slide back to provide an airflow when tilted

Will the seal around the glass roof come away without breaking? I want to clean the muck between the seal and glass.

Ta

Will the seal around the glass roof come away without breaking? I want to clean the muck between the seal and glass.

Ta

Anyone?