Sign in to follow this  
veedub

Screeching rear brakes.

This little gremlin is really getting on my wick now, basically the rear brakes scream like a pig if you use them whilst reversing.

The rear discs are in good condition as are the brake pads (genuine VW items).

I have removed the pads and lagged the back of them in copper slip, removed the 'sliding caliper' pins and gave them a good covering in copperslip aswell and tightened all of the caliper carrier bolts and its still screeching!! :mad:

Any ideas?

Were the caliper pistons fully retracted when you fitted the new pads? Also the pads may have become glazed, run then over a bit of wet and dry paper and that may do the trick.

Were the caliper pistons fully retracted when you fitted the new pads? Also the pads may have become glazed, run then over a bit of wet and dry paper and that may do the trick.

Will give that a bash this afternoon as she will be up in the air so I can fit me new Zorst!

Whats the deal with mk4 rear calipers? I see that quite a few people have fitted them, any advantages?

maybe yours are starting to sieze. ?!?

Cant see how geasing the pins would have helped much, other than let the calpier come off better. Sounds more like the pad surface needs a good rub; at first I thought you may have a metal burr lodged in at teh rear of the pad - but you've removed them since and not seen anything of the sort. You're sure the disc isnt well worn with a deep lip at the edge?

If its only in reverse, I'd forget about it.

If its only in reverse, I'd forget about it.

I would but its really embarassing when your reversing into a parking space in a busy car park and she starts to squeal like a piggy!!

have you got the anti screech springs in place?

Yip!

Are your discs contaminated with oil or grease? Try cleaning them with some meths.

They should be ok but its worth a try!

In reverse are they squealing without even touching the pedal?

Do they also squeal going forward but at slow speed?

Maybe they are seizing and not retracting from the disc after braking.

In reverse are they squealing without even touching the pedal?

Do they also squeal going forward but at slow speed?

Maybe they are seizing and not retracting from the disc after braking.

Sometime but only very quietly so perhaps the calipers are on their way out!

What do MK4 calipers usually go for?

Any slack in the wheel bearings may allow the hub to rock on the stub axle and touch the pads against the disc(s). Running in reverse will put different forces on the wheels compared to running forwards, especially if the suspension geometry is out of normal limits..

Be careful though; don't over-tighten the bearings or they will be ruined in no time flat.

Does the brake screech if you jack the car up and spin the unloaded wheel in reverse by hand?

Best wishes

RB

Any slack in the wheel bearings may allow the hub to rock on the stub axle and touch the pads against the disc(s). Running in reverse will put different forces on the wheels compared to running forwards, especially if the suspension geometry is out of normal limits..

Be careful though; don't over-tighten the bearings or they will be ruined in no time flat.

Does the brake screech if you jack the car up and spin the unloaded wheel in reverse by hand?

Best wishes

RB

There is no slack or play in the rear wheel bearings and everything is fine when the car is off thr ground, my money is on the pads not retracting properly. looks like a set of mk4's is in need!