Sign in to follow this  
Laughingboy

Help! My poor KR won't start!

Help!!

Just became the owner of a new corrado about a week ago. its a 91 1.8 16v and the dam thing just won't start!

Got it for button money as the poor lad who had it previous was a total chav and didn't have a clue! As bad as the car was it was in desperate need of rescue from this clown that I took pity on it and saved if from a life of wheelspining in retail park car parks!

Anyhow, when I went to see it it won't start off the key (definite Ignition switch) so I jumped the terminals off the starter motor and it ran like a load of crud which unknown to chav boy was the main power lead from the battery to the starter only just hanging on. I bought the car (just under £300!!!) got it home fixed the lead and bingo! it ran like a dream. now to the problem!

As the ignition switch wasn't working as a quick fix I remembered I had an old push button starter switch in the cupboard so fitted that to the car to bypass the ignition problem but now the dam thing won't start at all! I think I may have bridged some wires when installing the button but can't find what I've done.

Its getting fuel and the pump starts after the key fob immobilizer is inserted.

the ISV is buzzing when the key is in the on position.

The starter is turning when the button is pressed.

It was getting bad spark so I've put on a new cap and rotor arm as the cap was sparking around the king lead. But as its now dark I've not tested the spark again.

The hall sender looks a little ropey, is there any way to test this?

And does anyone have any other idea to what the problem could be?

Thanks for any help and sorry if this has been covered before, I tried a serch but couldn't find anything to help.

Please put me out of my misery!! :(

I think your first step is to check the spark again as that'll at least rule out the ignition components, including the Hall sensor. If you're still having problems after that I have a factory service manual for the KR engine I can copy you some extracts from.

Not on the KR if remember correct as its ECU and distributor. thought a control module was used when there wasn't a dizzy and cap arrangement... but I could just be running up the wrong path with that one!

I've been looking through some wiring diagrams my mate sent me to see if there some connection to the ECU from the ignition switch. I know for definite that the G60 has a relay to turn the ECU on from the Mk1 golf conversion I'm doing just now but I couldn't see one on the 16v kr diagram. does anyone know if there is a relay and which one it is in the board?

I'll check the spark tomorrow when I can see again. on the plus and down side I'm going to have to order a new distributor as its leaking oil into the cap. I'm sure you could buy rebuild kits for these things but I'm getting to the age where convience is getting more important!! ;) That of course will at least sort out any problems with the hall sender plus I found out how cheap that switch is in the ignition, wish I'd just gone and got the bit now! :roll:

Hi Laughingboy,

You ain't the only one in this situ, I am too.

Mine ran fine till I replaced a fuel pipe and on further investigation, I am not getting a spart out of the HT side of the coil. Taylors in Aberdeen have a Bosch coil in stock that I'm collecting tomorrow. Hopefully the engine will fire up as like you, there's plenty fuel getting through.

kev

It's only the coil I am replacing just now.

GSF's Online Shop for a distributor, part number 92033B is £69.50 exchange. You could always try Taylors on Lang stracht as well, 01224 662424.

Bingo, Euro car farts has one for for £65 all in with no exchange. Sol good in fact I may just go ahead and order it.

Picking up the ignition switch tomorrow! Fingers are crossed I'll turn that key and broom! It'll live... but I'm not holding out much hope!

Welcome to the Forum!

Sounds like a bargain at £300 quid!

What colour is it? What condition is the bodywork in?

Good luck sorting the problems out, doesn't sound too serious.

AH HA! The non starter is now a runner!

Changed that switch over this morning and turned the key to get some more clicks and whirls out of the fusebox etc but it still wouldn't start so went on the "track a spark" game and found the spark was there but had no pattern what so ever. The plug would fire, mis for a bit fire again etc etc.

cleaned up the dizzy again and tried that to no avail then notice the king lead which I had checked out as ok and looked pretty new had a small amount of oil coming out of the plug into the dizzy!!

nicked the old one of my mk1 and broom! it lives! Its a bit loud (scorpion exhaust) and the tappets are loud but for £300 its a bloody bargain and a running one at that. its still mot'd and taxed as well! bonus!

Thanks for all your help, off to look for a guide to doing the tappets but I think a dam good service is in order first. ordered a new dizzy to stop the oil leak then I'll have to book it in for a tune up as well to get running sweet.

Thanks again.