Sign in to follow this  
RADO.001

soundproofing?

rite as the weather is lookin a bit beta i want to get on with renewin my vr's interior, new carpet and soundproofin mostly.

anyone know how many square feet of soundproofin is need to do a rado?

Thanks Dave

well i want to redo the lot really, boot, floor, doors as im hopin to put new carpet down at the same time?

and letter this year i goin to retrim the headlinein, visors & sunroof panel too.

Oh ok, I just got 40sq ft of sound deadening and hoping to do my doors and boots this weekend. I will let you know how far that goes.

How much did that cost mate if you dont mind me asking? What did you use and where did you get it etc etc? :lol:

Oh ok, I just got 40sq ft of sound deadening and hoping to do my doors and boots this weekend. I will let you know how far that goes.

How much did that cost mate if you dont mind me asking? What did you use and where did you get it etc etc? :lol:

No problems, I paid £80 for it. Second skin Damplifer. Used it before, really good. Ordered it at about 4pm and it was delivered before 9am the next day. Heres the link

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/second- ... 413ba4d989

Hi Rado

iv been doing my C recently using the exact same stuff as son of beesting is using, and have so far used two packs (80 sq ft) doing the whole rear section (boot, under seats, walls etc), one footwell, transmission tunnel and think i have enough left to do the two doors.

I admit i may have gone slightly overboard though as iv completely covered these sections and have left no gaps and it overlaps quite a bit in the boot, i know this prob wasnt necessary but the gaps bothered me at first even though i know they will be covered by seats carpet etc :wink: think i prob bit of a perfectionist, either that or way too much free time :lol: i should think if you dont go as mad as me 80 sq ft is prob enuff to do whole car and i have noticed quite a reduction in the road, exhaust noise etc with the Second skin Damplifer kit and would def recommend it.

Hope this helps!

Try sticky-back lead-flashing chaps,

Used in many pro installs, well-kept secret (hell, I'm out of it now), and 20 quid trade for a bloody great roll from a builder's merchants.

Used in many pro installs, well-kept secret (hell, I'm out of it now), and 20 quid trade for a bloody great roll from a builder's merchants.

Yeah, tis a trick that's been talked about on here before. I tried it in my previous car and it was OK, still wasn't a patch on the proper stuff.

Yeah heard that before. Pretty sure that would be heavier and not as esay to work with.

SOAB : pound for pound, there's not much difference mate, surprisingly... when you apply soundproofing, it's a lot easier and more economical to cut it into small strips, which allows easier working anyway!

I've used it, its not bad, but not great. OK for boot area and horizontal surfaces but on door skins and quarter panels its a definite no-no.

I've used it, its not bad, but not great. OK for boot area and horizontal surfaces but on door skins and quarter panels its a definite no-no.

Yeah I heard that as well. I have never used the flashing tape sp I cant comment but Ihave sound proofed a few cars.

Prep is the key, the corrado has a lot of greese etc on it to clean off before you can get a good contact surface.

The Nissan was so much easier, but then it wasnt as well screwed together!

No problems, I paid £80 for it. Second skin Damplifer. Used it before, really good. Ordered it at about 4pm and it was delivered before 9am the next day. Heres the link

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/second- ... 413ba4d989[/quote:ee854]

we used simlair kit made by same company, highly recommend em...

Bally, ? How much did you use in your car and where did you apply it (apart from the door skins and boot area)? Did you also do the door cards?

Bally, ? How much did you use in your car and where did you apply it (apart from the door skins and boot area)? Did you also do the door cards?

I used a whole kit, cant remeber how many sheets.. done all the floor, side sections, door skins.. must say excellent stuff, but have got another kit to do some more.. planning on doing the roof next & not happy with the boot lid, so going to sort the rattles in that too...

EXTREME THREAD RESURRRRECCCCTTTIIIOOONNNNNNNNN!!!!

*ahem*

How did people get around the fact that this stuff is obviously thinner than the original green-felt style soundproofing? I'm guesing the carpets are moulded to fit, and with something thinner underneath them, won't the carpets flap around a little?

Cheers,

Jon.

Usual to keep the felt like material under the carpet. The soundproofing (as you say) is just a thin layer on the metal work to stop it being so tinny.