Sign in to follow this  
Bally

Gearstick, won't go into gear??

Just drove into work and it seamed fine, just went to park it and noticed the gear lever won't got all the way to the right, it seems to be sticking nearer first & second gear :shock: but is very stiff going in? any ideas what the problem is? has the cable snapped?? I work in London and am worried I won't be able to drive the car home :?

Thinking of ringing RAC to see if they can help.... :?:

I've similar problems shifting into 2nd when the engine's cold.

Have to push the clutch right to the floor and almost force the car into gear.

Seems to clear up once I've travelled a few miles.

Any suggestions gratefully received. :?

All sorted :D

RAC have been, it was the selecor thing under the bonnet were the two cables joine, it had become stuck, he pushed it down and the lever became free to change gears...

Been advised to have a new selector and cables looked and and maybe replaced....

Cars hey, new to the VW still... :oops:

Its like a lot of things, easy, when you know how! I had a similar problem a while back with my gear selection. I did panic a bit at first but, when I went under the bonnet & started studying the setup. Adjusting the cables is so simple, all you need is a 13mm socket with an extension.

You can also adjust your gear selection at the actual gearstick itself. Just pull the plastic gear surround upwards to expose a few linkages. All you need to adjust the gear selection here is a 13mm spanner. Loosen the bolt & move the arm left (& down) to improve 1st, 2nd & reverse gear selection & right (& up) to improve 5th gear selection.

It only takes small adjustments to the linkages to make a big difference to the gear change.

It could be the Cable Guide under the car, mine went, lost reverse, 1st, 2nd and 5th.

Easy fix but takes time as you need to drop the zorst.

Note that replacing the cables is very rarely necessary - and they're VERY expensive from VW too, so don't think about it unless you're sure they need replacing.

(Tho I doubt that will come as a surprise to you..)