Sign in to follow this  
bighands

MAJOR smoke when foot hard down

On way to get it MOT'd and coming on to a slip road, i booted it, foot hard down and when i looked in the rear view mirror, i shat myself.

Smoke like i have never seen, plumes coming from the exhaust and i thought i had blown the new engine :-( every time i put my foot down there was more!

So i crawled to the MOT place and had a look unde the bonnet, and it seems its sucked a shed load of oil up through the crank case breather, and spat it in the intake hence the smoke!

Question is, why!? really cant have this happening again, as A, its dangerous for other people on the road as they cant see, honest it was that bad and B, its embarrassing! and im sure it cant be good for the car??

Andy

bighands,

Sorry if this is obvious but do you notice if your crank case breather was blocked - causing a pool of oil to gather and creep back to the inlet??

After getting to the root of the problem, i'd definately get some Wynns or Redex to shove down the plug holes to clean her out!!

Did she fail on emissions then....???

Its now a 2.0 16v!

The crank case breather seems completley fine, and you can feel and hear it sucking i think it is, but all the internal pipes are covered in oil, i cant work out what causes it to suck so much in!?

It just did it again tho not quite as bad, its only when your going flat out at around 6k it seems to spit a load in!!??

EDIT***

And no it was a re test so it wasn't tested, but its ok when you have 'cleared' it all out from just driving normally!

Have a look at your air filter box and element - sometimes you can get lots of oil in there, too.

My lads had, in turn, a Lancia Y10 for a year or so, once :pukeleft: . It developed a terminal engine illness and on our way to the garage to trade it in, it laid smokescreens so dense, the Royal Navy in WW2 would have been proud of them! This happened on roundabouts or lefthanders as the car tilted and oil spilled into the engine.

I know what you mean by so bad it is embarassing and a danger to other road users bighand. Unbelievable how thick it can be.

Good luck, and fingers crossed for you, anyway.

Thats what im worried about, terminal engine illness!

The bottom end has only done 60k and the heads completely new, and i read in a post on the search earlier that someone had something similar to this and it was a cracked piston :-( im probably worrying over nothing, but on the other hand this isn't normal!! just have no idea why theres enough pressure to pull or blow that much oil in to the inlet, the engine seems to run completely fine, no mis fire and pulls so much better than it ever has! although saying that is running bit hot, (100 when on the motorway and about 108 ish when in traffic)

Your right about the smoke screen, it was dangerous, completely covered 2 lanes of the dual carriage way for good 100 yards so you couldn't see a car length in front, quite impressive really for such a ickle engine!

Andy

OK so its update time, and it doesnt look good :

Checked the water today as i havent had a good run in it since i re built it, and there was the dreaded sludge :-(

This seems VERY weird as i was so carefull when re building it, skimmed head and apparently unbrakeable metal VW head gasket!

And this is exactly the same trouble as i had before i replaced the engine, oil in the water, a lot! The only thing i swapped over ffom the other engine was the oil cooler that was only about 6 months old before the engine re build, i mean the STD oil cooler, sits above the filter, and i am wondering if this could be the cause of this, but i would of thought i would of had mayo in the filler cap as the water is under more pressure? or at least when the engines off and up to temp?

Car runs fine, doesnt miss smoke on normal runs or loss of power?

could these be a coincindence? the major smoke out yesterday, and todays issues as i cant really see a link?

To be honest i have had enuff now been 'together' with the car for 4 years and think this could be the final biscuit its just one thing constantly after another ALL the time!!!!! :-(

Andy

mate i had the std oil cooler go on my 8v golf and my rado and both times the sludge was in the header tank!!!!

i reckon thats your problem!!

Oil cooler has more than likely gone. I have only had it happen on 8v engines and no breather oil smoke was caused. Anyway, for the sake of 30 quid it is a lot cheaper than taking the engine apart if that is all it is.

Right so i have removed the oil cooler, althought this is very new part say a year old, looks like new inside as well, and i plummed it up to the mains and cranked on the pressure as i guess this has to be near if not more than the oil pressure would be?

And not a drop in 2 hours :-( so its the head gasket or worse, completely re ferb'd the head, skimmed port and polished and new valves ect, and the apparently ins indestructible metal head gasket was fitted less than 200 miles ago, so how the hell can this happen?!?!?!?

I was SO carefull putting it all back together, spot on with all the torque settings and tightening sequence!

Its the end of the road for me the the raddo now i am afraid, never ever have i had such an unreliable car that falls apart every 500 miles, and i have replaced nearly every moving part in the past 3-4 years!

6 months of saving and its skyline time!

Andy