Sign in to follow this  
TimothyClaypole

Clicking from ignition.

Being doing some work on the VR I just bought to try and sort out the issue with it not starting.

I suspected the alarm (took the siren off the other night when it wouldn't stop going off and smashed it with a hammer :oops: ).

I've removed the alarm box and all the wiring I could indentify as belonging to it and temporarily fastened the cut wires together until I get a gas soldering iron as there's no power where it is.

The dash lights come on ok but you just get a click when you turn the key. If you try the hazzards or an indicator the box below clicks like mad (video at bottom of post).

connector04.jpg

One if the relays under the dash on the left was clicking but stopped (number 97 I think)?

There's a few connectors I can't identify and a few loose connectors that don't seem to go anywhere in the back of the fuse box.

Think this is for the stereo?

connector01.jpg

This is on the ignition side of the car?

connector02.jpg

connector03.jpg

Video of box:

http://www.karman.demon.co.uk/Box.MPG

Any pointers appreciated. :)

try moving the key in the ignition as you try to start it. I had this and after a hefty bill to tell my alarm was fine it turned out to be the Ignition Barrel.

Hi

Lovely pics and video.

Is it a left hand drive car ?

The black unit is the windows control unit. Where in the car is this ?

Do you hear the fuel pump prime ?

It's RHD.

I saw one of the units on Ebay and recognised the part number. It's fastened to the inner wing behind the driver's seat.

My dad says he fitted a new battery today while I was at work and it turned over first time, all the bits and bobs worked. He then turned it off and it wouldn't start again.

After a chat he said he'd moved the fusebox so I think one of the wires I'd twisted together has come back off.

I got a gas soldering iron in the post today so will sort all the cut wires properly with heatshrink sleeving etc. at the weekend and see how it goes then.

Hi

Relay 109 is the fuel pump relay.

Check the wires to the external fuel pump for a short if this relay keeps blowing.

Also do a google on 'Relay 109'. very interesting.