Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Rossy

VR6 won't start

Hi chaps,

I got my VR6 back from the bodyshop 2 weeks ago after being there for 9 weeks, she used to start 1st time on the button but the last 2 times I went out to her I haven't been able to get her going. (sounding more like my wife this !)

She turns over but not even a cough or splutter. The battery is fine.

I did change the standard air box for an induction kit recently but have been driving her with that on. The clutch was replaced about 13 weeks ago. Its got a toad alarm / imobaliser which beeps to open the doors and seams fine. (Although when cranking it the indicators flash)

Any help would be appreciated as I really want to get her out.

Cheers M

Na I've been using the power pack on it as well, it turns at a reasonable speed and I'd expect a little cough or something after 20 mins of trying.

I might try the battery out of the volvo on it tonight then.

I drove it home from there and have driven it 4 times since. It then let me down when I had an interview to get to. Got a taxi and arrived with 3 mins to spare.

I will be looking at the alarm and battery this evening as I think that there could be some mileage in looking at them.

Likely culprits:

- crank sensor

- immobiliser

- coil/dizzy

- fuel pump/ignition relays

What did they do in the body shop? Anything they removed might now be loose ... The crank sensor is wired near to the front engine mount, so if they've had the front end of the car off ...

Yeah crank sensor sounds like a likely one as the front lights, inds, fogs, splitter and coilovers were worked on.

It sits by the front engine mount ? I'll check it out tonight. Thanks M

Changed the battery last night, checked the crank sensor, again it turned over well but nothing happened.

The hazzards flash when cranking hence I think it must be the alarm so I've found the paper work for the alarm (a toad) and am planning to try the procedure for disarming the car via the pin rather than radio transmitter.

Hopefully that will work.

What kit can you use for diagnostics ?

I bit the bullet and called the RAC. Mad thing was he turned up and the little git started first time !!! It then didn't start the 2nd time. Its the imobalizer. It has a fault. I'll have to call the installers tomorrow. Anyone got any recommendations ? clifford concept ?

Good shout,

I would also leave the wife's dog outside next to it but as he's a red setter he looks like a poof and hence wouldn't frighten a 5 year old away from the car.

When you say its already got an immobiliser in the ECU how do you mean ? What drives this ? the ignition key ?

Has anyone ever fitted secondary dead bolts to the doors ? (Consealed of course)

Yeah, the ECU refuses to start till a chip in the key responds.

Like the idea about the dog. But you need something a bit 'arder than a red setter.. :)

Oh ok, I'm off to sextons now to talk alarms.

I'll forget the gay dog idea then. Might do better to pay one of the little chav's who live in the young offenders home on the corner of my street !!!!! Or would probably be better off leaving the car at my mums house until my new garage is built.