Sign in to follow this  
corradostuff

16v G60 or VR6

I don't normally come in this section but wanted to chat about different Corrados. I've got a 2L valver which I love. It's in good condition with a good engine, it’s the late type but only just (Dec 92). Anyway although I love the valver I can't stop thinking about G60s and VR6s !! The valver is quick and I love the torque and power at high revs but I guess I'm looking for a bit more power and speed.

I've been converted to Corrado's now so I guess its natural progression. But is it worth it? I'd need to save a lot of money to sell the valver and buy a good G60 or VR6, guess I'd need £2.5 to £3k on top of my valver which is a lot more money. I guess I'm not sure whether to do it or not as I do like my valver.

I'd like to hear from anyone that's had a valver and a G60 or VR6, are they that much better? Or is it just the VR6 owners making out they are sooo much better cos that’s what they've got :lol: no offence! Then there's the next question G60 or VR6? I can't make up my mind on that either!

Had all 3 (altho the valver was just a temp on loan car) and IMO the VR is far and away the best built and better car. However its done 100k less than the other 2, so thats a huge factor.

I loved my G60 for the pure fun factor! Was pushing around 180bhp with similar torque and was just so much fun in any gear at any speed. The VR and Valver are completetly different. High revs to get the best out of em, but with the VR it just goes......and goes......and goes....and goes....all the way to red line! So much more refined power, but it feels less at low revs and doesnt feel as quick as the G because its so progressive, even tho its waaaay quiker!

I gotta admit, I just found the valver a tad slow, after going from a G60. But still good none the less.

My advice, go drive a G and VR, see what you prefer. I just happen to prefer the VR now.

Interesting swfblade, thanks. I thought it'd be something like that. So far I've only driven a valver so it seems fairly quick to me but I know the others are just going to make me smile even more!

I must say I'm swaying more to the VR for a few reasons, partly being able to get a newer one, trouble is if I got one I'd want a good one and thats going to cost me! Better start saving either way.

I'm on the lookout for local Gs and VRs at traders so I can have a test drive. Could take a long time though, don't think I've ever seen a G60 for sale anywhere except on the forum or a knacker on ebay.

Anyone else got any opinions?

VR all the way mate, the saving will be worth it imo. They go like stink, have bags of torque for lazy driving and most of all THE SOUND!

Or is it just the VR6 owners making out they are sooo much better cos that’s what they've got :lol:

I went from a valver to a VR6 and in my opinion the VR is sooo much better :D

Like swfblade says, they are completely different to drive but the power that the VR has and the lovely noise it makes as you put your foot down are second to none 8)

I have never driven a g60 so I can't comment on that.

There may be some forum members in your area that would be willing to take you out on a little test drive so you can compare them for yourself.

depends what you want the result to be really.

VR because you would spend less money getting more power :) but hey, im slightly biased

I'm being swayed to the VR even more! Where's all the G60 owners?

I think a VR will be more likely for me, but I have seen some nice G60s for sale on the forum recently.

Trouble is now I'm thinking about it I want one now! Realistically I'd be looking at 6 months to a year minimum to save up for a good VR. Don't want to buy one with loads of problems!

VR - nuff said! :lol:

I loved my valver but for me there was only the one choice after that - VR6. I'd like a go in a G60 mind you.

Had all three, and I'd go for a VR. That said, the G is still a great car. All in all, has to be a VR though- the sound is wonderful, and the silky power delivery is sublime.

There are bargains out there- got my VR6 recently for just over £2K. It's a cracker- high miles but full head rebuild, Koni coilovers, recaro's etc. Needs a few minor things done to get it up to scratch, but I think even the more expensive ones would require the same. Go for it!

Love my VR but the valver is very different.

You just have to drive each of them if you can and go from there.

So everyone loves the sound of the VR!! Looks like I need to go to some meets. I was going to go to the recent south coast meet but had to change my lambda probe at the time. Oooh I want a VR now, esp if I can get one for £2k, i'd be well chuffed with that :D

Having owned a G60, and having driven a fair few VR's i'd go for the VR6. Its not a totally clear winner and there are things that I adore about the G60. But the noise of the VR6 and the smoothness of that engine compared to any 4 pot are enough to win me over any time.

I did love my G60 for its distinctive soundtrack (as its filling its lungs past the 3,500RPM mark.. wow) and the wonderful torque lower down in the rev range, combined with a real sense of urgency. I also love that it was just a very different engine compared to what was out there at the time, and historical interest is as good a reason as any I guess!

However the VR's soundtrack is, for me, fairly intoxicating. Flex your foot a little to duck through some traffic and you get muted grumbling from the engine bay.. thump your foot into the carpet and you're treated to a very distinct "off beat" 6 cylinder howl - once you've heard one VR6, you just recognise the noise on approaching cars before you even see them. Couple that with a far smoother gear change than the G60, plus the facelift interior and exterior and you have in my eyes the clear choice. Again, I respect that some folks prefer the early look and the early interior but.. its definately an individual preference.

Try and take one out for a drive or even a passenger ride. If you're not utterly seduced by it i'll be surprised.

Own(ed) two G60's and driven a few VR6's and they are very different. I don't think you can say definitively ones better than the other - so much depends on what you're looking for.

I love the smoothness and sound of the VR but also love the noise of the G60. Personally I think the G60 handles better, less nose heavy than the VR but again thats nothing that couldn't be addressed.

As above, drive both and see which you prefer

. Couple that with a far smoother gear change than the G60

Err Jim the gearchange mech is identical accross all models, post shift weight mod.

The only reason that you expressing a preference for a better gear cx on the VR is probably because it was set-up properly on the car you were driving.

I'm sure there is something different about the gear change on the on the G60 than on the later cars.. cable / rod change or something? Why is it every G60 is notchy, and every VR is smooth regardless of mileage and whatnot?

I'm sure there is something different about the gear change on the on the G60 than on the later cars.. cable / rod change or something? Why is it every G60 is notchy, and every VR is smooth regardless of mileage and whatnot?

No, all Corrados use cable change boxes with the same size clutch too.

The only thing they did to the gearshift mech was add a weight on the 'N' chassis year and on (1992 model year, 1991 build date on) and change the linkage on top of the box slightly to accomodate this. Although you can fit the the balance weigh to th original box.

Only other difference is gearbox ratios but this should not affect the feel of the change that greatly.

I would say my valver box is smoother than my VR, maybe its just the difference in the knob that gives the perception of a different change?

VR6 or G60? I have now driven both, yes, even the valvers.

At the time when I was looking for a Rado, I completely ignored the valver, and concentrated on finding a G60 or VR6. I also was looking mainly at the German market, where valvers are far and between, and G60s are in the majority. A 3-day test drive of a mate's G60 then convinced me, I didn't care about VRs any more, I wanted one, even though I was still looking at some, but at the time they also commanded much higher prices than G60s.

I then literally stumbled across my current US-spec G60, with lots of very uncommon toys on-board (airco, automatic seatbelts, side markers, interior colour pattern, cruise control), test drove it, and apart from some very annoying and irritating (certainly for a die-hard Rocco-owner and driver like me) niggly problems that I gradually got to solve during the last 3 years, I'm happy with it, even at standard power output (not for too long any more).

Yes, the VR6, if you do find a good one, will quite possibly offer a more relaxed driving style.

Then again, people who've driven my G60 will be able to testify that a G60 can also be quite refined. You don't need to mod the crap out of a G60 to have fun with one either.

My G60 fits the bill quite nicely of my long distance cruiser (especially thanks to all the US-spec toys), as my Roccos both are downright fun toys with all sorts of mods.

Tempest

I would say my valver box is smoother than my VR, maybe its just the difference in the knob that gives the perception of a different change?

Maybe i've just been spoilt by driving Haywire's and 2cc's VR6's.. Kev's has had a gearbox rebuild and is like silk.. and the gear change on Chris's VR is like putting a hot knife through butter!