Sign in to follow this  
zak

Which coilovers for ride quality

After trying a rubbish spax kit for a while (too long) i eventually ditched it for a set of H&R springs and Eibach ARBs. wish i did it yonks earlier. the car feels almost stock on a normal drive, but then you approach a round about and once you are used to it, realise you dont have to slow down. Corners likes its on rails, and also doesnt look like i have had the car lowered by the max power brigade. it now looks lower, but not obviously lowered.

This is what it used to look like, when it was on an almost 55mm drop (not the drop i wanted, but with the spax kit, they say +/- 15mm!!!) looked good, but handling was scrap and it knackered the outside of my tyre walls.

IMGP3830.jpg

Are you running 16" wheels too? I have tried 15, 16 & 17, and am happiest with 16's.

:lol:

You've done well to get the ride good with that much lowering. The standard suspension / damper travel is 6", so your travel is about 2" now :shock:

Does the nose not nod up and down? I threw my H&Rs right to the floor for a laugh a while back and apart from scraping the sump, the ride was hilarious! Cornered well cause the centre of gravity was so low though.

got all solid mounts engine mounts too and its very effective, u know exactly when ive put my foot down and when i have braked.... i cracked a splitter once in kent when i approached a big humped roundabout too fast and had to do a right turn, hit the anchors turned right, splitter cracked and it was lots of fun, thought i snapped the wishbone at one point but i made it home alright so no probs lol

Back On-Topic...

The Gaz Gold coilovers are pretty comfortable on their softest settings but don't give good enough handling to justify keeping them at those settings. And even then you pick up a lot of rumble.

I think it's fair to say that you don't buy coilovers for ride comfort.

I'd just like to interject here and clarify that your Gaz Gold kit is seemingly not the same as mine and I am very happy with the kit overall. The way mine behaves over B roads is exactly as spec'd and therefore it fits the bill perfectlty.

This just further supports my constant blathering that there just isn't one kit that will please everyone. It's ny on impossible to achieve and any company that does manage it will be billionaires over night.

Anyway, road rumble will increase slightly with coilovers as 2.25" springs are tighter bound and lower, and also the rears are poly mounted to the trailing arms as opposed to rubber with normal struts.

Indeed - quite agree Kev.

Just for the record, I'm not knocking the Gaz setup and I'm certainly not knocking your choice, just giving my personal opinion. :)

No probs, I know you weren't bashing them. Our cars are too different to form a uniform comparison, which was what I was trying to impress, but went off on a tangent like I usually do :-) Glad you're warming to them, I think the 325lb springs might sort you out.

Can't think why I didn't go for the 325lb in the first place. Guess I was poorly advised. :wink: :)