Sign in to follow this  
ShockVR6

Rubbing sound when turning the steering wheel

Hi all

Everytime i turn my steering wheel i get a rubbing sound as if bits of plastic are rubbing together.

I think my best bet is to remove all the gubbins from around the wheel.

B4 i do this i woz just wandering if anyone knew of anything obvious it could be ?

ThnX in Advance to the helpfull peeps of this forum :)

Alright mate!!

Yep I get the same problem, mine just started a few days ago. All it is is dirt/grit getting on the contacts on the steering wheel. Just give it a good clean with a cloth/cotton buds and apply abit of grease. It should sort the problem.

Sanj :idea:

Hey Sanj, good tip there, I'm removeing the steering wheel to-nite to sort out the wipers, so I'll give it a clean :D

P.S Welcome to the forum.. :D

ThnX for the advice, ive got today off work so i think il have a go at it in a minute.

Il let you know how i get on.

Is the steering wheel easy to get off ?

Im a bit of a mechanical novice, lol.

ThnX for the advice, ive got today off work so i think il have a go at it in a minute.

Il let you know how i get on.

Is the steering wheel easy to get off ?

Im a bit of a mechanical novice, lol.

Center the wheel before you do anything so you know where to put it back on again and make sure that the steering lock is NOT on (leave the key in if needs be!) so you don't overstrain the lock when undoing the nut.

Pull the center off the wheel (vaires as to which wheel you've got fitted as to how to do this.)

Undo the BIG nut (32mm IIRC) and remove nut + washer

Pull wheel from both sides (may need some gentle persuasion :wink: )

There's a brass ring on the back of the wheel boss and some brass contacts next to the column that need cleaning, use a decent grease afterwards and, in good old fashioned style, re-fitting is the reverse or removal! :roll: :lol:

Good luck! 8)

Job done.

No more dodgy sounds everytime i go round a bend.

I can listen to the sweet sound of the engine now. :D

ThnX for the HelP !

happened to me when i put a momo wheel on, it was the bit of metal that makes the circuit for the horn that was rubbing on the wheel, put loads of copper grease around the wheel and rim and now its fine!!1

Thats what it was on myn Joe, just greased it up and its fine... don't mind me asking but what MOMO wheel have you got?

I love Momo wheels. It's amazing how a steering wheel grip can alter the way the car feels :lol:

RE: the grinding horn contact! I left it too long to fix on a MK2 Golf once and it wore the contact away completely! So it do as soon as you hear the noise!!

Kev

I love Momo wheels. It's amazing how a steering wheel grip can alter the way the car feels

It was my mechanic mate who finally convinced me that a new Momo wheel was a very good idea... He just pointed out that it doesn't matter how good your tyres, brakes, engine or suspension are if your steering wheel is slippery and causes you to crash... :shock: :lol:

I'd never go back to driving a decent performance car without changing the wheel for a nice one now... I don't think that I can justify it in my current 1.6 driver Golf though! :roll: :lol:

Ive got a momo club wheel an i love it only thing is it makes u really confident and u wanna throw it around more and more :lol: :lol: maybe the ridges that hold ur hands in so tightly

I have a MOMO Champion in my car, looks like this,

It looks very nice in the csr aswell!!! 8)

Looks sweet mate, I havent had the chance to get myself a new wheel, had to let go of my old personel wheel which I had for over 10years! time to move on, still miss it... :(