Sign in to follow this  
rado-steve

rotrex superchargers.......

Seen a few cars with them at UD, they all seem to be fitted with a weird bottle with heatsinky finnage on it???

Are they just like a normal supercharger, or I overheard someone saying that they ran on compressed air :roll: Or were they talking bollox??

Anyone shed some light to a thickie :oops:

cheers

Deifinitely don't run on compressed air....

I think the bottle is filled with oil or coolant and they have their own lubrication system rather than run off the engine oil... Best person to as is Mr Fusion, he's got one, in fact theres a thread on it in this very section...

All Rotrex units come complete with oil reservoir, clamps, oil lines, oil filter, traction fluid, and drive pulley making it possible to develop your own one off kits.

The patented Rotrex gear is based on a unique planetary gear design. This enables a self-controlling level of normal forces between cylindrical metal surfaces, which results in a highly efficient power-transmission by traction, always adjusted to actual speeds and loads. All Rotrex units boast 65 +% total efficiency, lower noise level, and a very compact installation considering the unit is much smaller than most centrifugal superchargers.

As per Kev's cut & paste above mate, the cylinder with the vanes on it is the 'Hot Formula traction fluid resovoir' which the charger runs on rather than the engines own oil with some installations above a certain BHP you need to link this to a dedicated remote oil cooler as well (the Rotrex's run at pretty high rpm's), although its not necessary in my coming setup with my SP-84 as i'm not planning to exceed 300bhp (for the mo).

PM Mr Fusion if you want more info though as he's been playing around with his a lot longer than i have.

p.s. sorry no Torque graph's yet Eatthis as it still a pile of parts in my living room till i get back from my Hols.

Alex

Hey Guys, just noticed this so thought I would get in on the action.

rado-steve,

The rotrex chargers two tricks are it's size (about the same as an alternator) and the massive amounts of air it can pump out compared to other chargers.

The planetary gear system it uses allows a very steep ratio between the input speed from the serpentine belt and the output that drives the actual air compression side of the unit (that takes are from the atmosphere and compresses it into your engine). They are also very very efficient because of this way of doing things)

The saga will contiune with my kit once my new engine is fitted courtesy of JIMMI, but thats 2 whole other kettles of fish! but have a look here for the what i have been up to.. http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45227

Cheers Lads!

You'll get there Ben, is JIMMI fitting the new lump for you as well?

from what i've seen think he could probably swap them over in his sleep!

Alex