Sign in to follow this  
JIMMI

Golf 5 GTI TFSI engine into a rado, need a little tech help

AAArghh ive decided to go down a completely different route to that i first took with my corrado, the 3.0 Schimmel motor was sold and the sale of the turbo kit is immenent. A lot of thoughts have crossed my mind and i originally had my heart set on an R32 conversion but im struggling to find an engine i then thought of a 20vT swap but its been done to death and i like to be a bit of a trend setter and i started thinking about a TFSI engine conversion from a mk5 Golf GTI, the more i thought about it the more it made sense !! Basically the engine is brand new and is 200hp out of the box and a bit of a remap along with the bigger intercooler ill be using would see the car at somewhere near 300hp which im quite happy with. and it will be running on oe management which is a good thing !

I dug out my best detective tools today and ive managed to find and buy a complete engine, loom, ecu, exhaust, DSG box & pedal box all from a 56 plate golf GTI with 400 miles on, best thing its only about 2 miles from my house !!! Now then i have a few questions so if anyone can help me id appreciate it, im gonna get cracking with the install over the weekend and hopefully it should be complete in a week or two ready for the middle of april and show season.

1.} I want to use the original 3 mounting points for the engine, i am assuming i am gonna have to ditch the VR6 subframes and replace them with 16v ones?

2.}Also im not gonna use the DSG box and as far as im aware unless i run the mk5 mounts etc i cannot use a newer 6 speed box so will my O2A VR box fit or will i need to use a one from a 4 cylinder corrado or golf?

3.}If i do use a 4cyl gearbox & subframes can i retain my VR6 driveshafts, bottom arms & 5 stud hubs ???

4.} I can also get the bottom arms, subframe hubs, shafts brakes etc from the golf, would it be woth my while to fit the engine this way ? so i basically offer the golf front end up into the rado, the brakes look huge and i wouldnt mind them on my car so its basically mk5 front end, and i could fit a mk 5 6 speed box to it if i can do this is there much fabricating to be done ??

Cheers jimmi...........................................

yo. good choice, my cousin has an A4 TFSI and its a lovely engine, lots of character.

so

1. not sure, possibly not with a bit of fabrication work. I dont really know to be honest.

2. VR box no good. you need a 4 cylinder box, like a G60 or something.

3. dunno, I couldnt say I havent tried it.

4. I have a set of mega DSG brakes in the garage I could have showed you the other day - they wont fit without modification, the discs are hewwage - 345mm or something stupid by 40mm thick. Plus the stud pattern is different on mk5s.

hope this helps

btw I have put a days holiday in on friday to strip this car! fancy giving me a hand lol

If im not too busy on friday mate i should be able to come and give you a hand on friday afternoon if you like, 2 of us should strip that in a crack, have you got it running yet ??

I think the TFSI is a good choice of motor and most importantly its a little different ! I know about the wheel PCD difference on a mk 5 golf but i can use adapters to go between 5x100 to 5x112 which shouldnt be a problem, the brakes are absolutely huge co you think they would fit under a 17" rim?

If you could see the guy you and PHATVR6 know about doin the biz on the loom and ecu asap for me that will be ace, my car has been off the road too long now and i want it up and running again !!

Jimmi,.........................

hi there , after a steal on ebay i also decided to go down the tfsi route in my 1.8 16v 89' rado ! i am well into it although its only really a weekend thing im going for a full tidy up too ! i have used a mk5 fsi 6 speed box which uses pretty much the same casing as my original box so then used original front and nsr mount , iv fitted a vr subframe and am in the process of fabricating a osr mount that is lower to clear the turbo , i have also had to cut a piece out of my chassis leg to allow room for the turbo pipe that runs below the crank pulley up to the turbo to fit ! at the moment i am drawing blanks everywhere when it comes to decodeing an ecu i have aquired , im more than happy to help ( if i can ) with anything i can , thanks , ads

I think the 2ltrTFSI is a match made in heaven for the Corrado, power and torque delivery wise and the fact it won't affect chassis dynamics too much. Good choice I'm in awe of your efforts.

You might try this guy for any questions......

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4029474

Oh and this forum.......

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=739

This won't be trend setting if you pull it off mate, it was done a couple of years ago I'm sorry to say.

Good luck with the conversion though.

Edit: just seen how old this topic is :nuts: