Sign in to follow this  
efil4sbuD

Modding my VR6 - your opinions?

Hello everyone.

The time has come to start making some changes to my car. It's '95 VR6 in black but totally standard when i bought it.

It has fairly high mileage at 180k but i knew i'd be taking the spanners to it so it didn't bother me too much, especially as the interior was in pretty good nick and leather too. :-)

It has some stone chips and also some rust on the leading edge of the bonnet and wing and also the driver's door but i'm hoping to learn enough about spraying from doing my Mk2 to attempt these imperfections myself. If i cock the mk2 up this will have to go to the local shop. :(

Here are some photos i took as standard.

Rado2.jpg

Rado1.jpg

Rado3.jpg

I'd like to debadge it except for the VW on the back so first off is a dedadged grill.

Front.jpg

The lights are going to get a severe tweaking so i'm starting with red rears.

Laminexed1.jpg

Laminexed3.jpg

Also in the lighting department i'm going for In Pro headlights and fogs. I'm not sure when i can get these fitted but i'll post pics when done.

On order are some Weitec GT coilovers but i really need to find some suitable wheels before fitting them. Anyone know where i can get some Ace 218s with 5 stud pattern let me know.

Any thoughts on what's been done so far and what's to come is appreciated. I have other plans also but i'll post them as they happen.

Something else i almost forgot are the aero wipers, what a difference!

James.

Debadge, deep splitter, deep eyebrow spoiler, clear side repeaters, rear reiger spoiler(top of rear windscreen), mk3 golf gti side skirts, single wiper conversion. Then slam it on wide 15 or 16s. Job done.

Subtle mods suit the corrados best, i personally dont like any bodykits/side skirts/extra spoilers etc on a corrado but its not my car lol.

Main mods are usually debadged grill, red rears, clear/smoked side repeaters, dewiper rear (looks SO much smoother!), passat door handles (delocked), 90mm splitter, as its black de-side strip, and then some tasty rims and lower it.

despends on your tastes, personally I'd just lower it over some nice alloys, dewiper the rear, clear repeaters and stick a 90mm chin spoiler on, in terms of styling at least. Engine-wise the only limit is your funds, I would say minimum get a proper induction kit in there (the BMC one is superb) spend a bit of cash and make sure everything else is in top notch condition, then turbo it :D

Well, i'd like some 17s and these are the wheels i want...

218s.jpg

I would like to be a bit subtle, though what's subtle and what's not is up to the individual. Angel eyes aren't everyone's taste and may be a bit busy at the front but they're going on.

I'd thought about a beesting and about smoked repeaters, btw, are they legally required? I wanted to shave them off but not sure if it's allowed.

I haven't thought about dewipering the rear but that's definitely possible.

I'm also going to debadge the rear except for the centre VW badge as no one who's not into VWs know's what car it is anyway!

Heresites, i love your wheels even though they are a bit too wide for my liking but they look damn good.

Keep suggestions coming, i need ideas.

thought i saw another 'rado in felixstowe....and that makes two of us now! (i think)

here's a wheel link: they quote 5x100 pcd as well...thought about them myself and had the link saved!! sweet rims 8) sweet price

http://www.wheel-base.co.uk/proddetail. ... 18&cat=158

red rear lights look good - i'd add tinted side repeaters, angeleyes (love 'em), 90mm splitter and a shorter beesting - got weitec ultra gt spring/shock kit on mine and can vouch for the quality/feel - great kits - coilovers will be awesome

more than likely run into u sooner or later, this is mine:

PICT0333.jpg

Hi Trudubrstu! I may have seen you about too but only in passing, not long enough to have a butchers at your ride.

Looks good, nice and clean paintwork unlike mine. Looks like i have a lot of work to do and i wanted to get it all done at once but as more parts turn up i'm getting itchy to get them on.

Look what turned up today...:-)

Coilies001.jpg

I phoned Wheelbase and they reckoned the 5x100 wasn't available any more. They're just using old photos but since they haven't updated the website to show this i hope the guy was telling the truth. No reason why he wouldn't i suppose.

James.

I have them coilovers mate and can vouch for how good they are. Road holding is superb and if you dont have ridiculously wide wheels with stretched low profile tyres they are comfortable too :lol:

Excellent. I love it when a plan comes together.

I chose the Weitecs as i have KW Var. 2 on my Mk2 which i thought were absolutely fantastic. Seeing as they are made by the same company they should be good also.

I couldn't believe how much difference they made to the drivability of the car. I fitted polybushes at the same time too so they obviously helped. This car is going to get the same treatment too so i'm looking forward to being able to chuck it about a bit.

Just out of interest Herisites, how do you rate your Miltek? Is it a full system? I'm looking for an exhaust that won't wake the neighbours at idle but will enhance the VR sound at higher revs. I've been undecided between Miltek and Supersprint.

James.

hi james - shame about the alloys :roll: coilovers look quality - really rate weitec!

r.e. exhausts - got a magnex cat back system on mine - great quality, good price and not noisy at all (unless you're at full chat) - good fitting kit and a lifetime warranty makes these a great choice - p.m. me if you want to meet up and have a butchers at it, and check the sound effects for yourself - i'm really impressed with mine (although having had a supersprint system on my mk1 gti, i can tell you that these are quiet too, and the quality is superb - can't vouch for milltek, but seem a popular choice on here)

I had a Magnex on the Mk2, it was a DTM pipe. It looked good and sounded good but then the weld cracked round the pipes and i had to send it back.

To be fair they didn't quibble but they didn't make the DTM anymore and i had to have an oval pipe. This also looked good but Christ what a din! I hated it. It was louder than the DTM by some way and woke all the neighbours i'm sure. It made me sound like a garyboy.

Needless to say i got shot of that. The Mk2 is now original again.

Since then i've decided to give Magnex a miss, i just can't gamble that it might sound the same. By contrast there doesn't seem to be many people who don't rate their Milteks and Supersprints and they look awesome.

We'll have to meet up sometime and swap ideas. I'm interested in having a look at your angel eyes as i probably won't be fitting mine for a little while. Do you go to any meetings round here?

James

I highly rate the Miltek exhaust system mate. Mine is cat back and isnt loud at all really, just a nice subtle burble on tick over and well im sure you know the story once you get over 3k in the VR :wink: it sounds awesome :D

On order are some Weitec GT coilovers but i really need to find some suitable wheels before fitting them.

I'd be really interested to hear the results of running the Weitecs before you change the wheels as I'm planning to stay with standard wheel/tyre sizes (if not look :D) but go as low as possible.

If you do fit them before you get wheels sorted then post up about how the ride is! Oh, and pics too if possible!

Cheers

John

If you do fit them before you get wheels sorted then post up about how the ride is! Oh, and pics too if possible!

Cheers

John

Sure, will do but i'm not sure i'd be able to tell much difference between 17s and 15s to be honest. The width would be the same (205) and the rolling diameter would be about the same so i guess the only difference would be between the tyres - dodgy Federals and Toyos.

Still, i can take some pictures and tell you what the ride is like.

BTW, has anyone got any opinions on a 17"x7J wheel with 205 tyres? Is that a bit skinny? Should i go 215 with 7.5J? I suppose that's just going to add some cost though but gain some grip, lose a bit of handling at the front or gain handling?

James.

The ride with those weitecs and 15's on a vr is spot on. Pretty firm but not hard, and only harsh over really nasty drain covers etc.

Way more comfortable than the H&R's I've got on now.

And you will notice the difference between 15's and 17's with the weitecs. The fatter side walls on 15 inch tyres give much more of a cushioning effect.

So, a bit stiffer because of the smaller profile, yes?

Maybe 16s would be a better choice for comfort then but i like the way a 17 fills the arch. My 15s look like biscuit tin lids with standard suspension.

They're really nice coilovers mate. A good balance between ride and handling, and really well made from what I saw. Mine came off pretty much as good as the day they went on.

Good luck. And if you ever want to know what uncomfortable is, give me a shout. I'm often up in london and i'll stick the 17's on and take you for a drive. Fookin hell......... :)

So, a bit stiffer because of the smaller profile, yes?

Maybe 16s would be a better choice for comfort then but i like the way a 17 fills the arch. My 15s look like biscuit tin lids with standard suspension.

Yeah - quite a bit stiffer to be honest. You can really feel the cushioning effect with 15's. And the roll on turn-in! I think it's 'amplified' with my car as the suspension is rock hard, so the ride is very dependant on the tyres.