Sign in to follow this  
dazzyvr6

front speakers

what speakers does everyone recommend to run up front,ive just put in my xplod sub woofer and would like to get some better sounds up front aswell and some tweeters

I've just fitted some JBL 5" components upfront. I mounted the tweeters on an angle in the dash, and the mids in the doors, with the crossovers stashed away in the center console by the footwell. I have a 8" sub at the minute, soon to be 12" in the boot, and all the speakers are ran off a Rockford Fosgate 500x amp which is also in the boot. 4 Channel, 2 channels for the comps. 2 bridged for the sub. I plan on getting some 6X4 kenwood custom fir speakers for the rear at some time in the future, but as I don't sit in the back, I don't really care if it sounds all bassy back there!! The sound off this set up is mint! oh and I have also sound deadnd the doors with flashing tape whiched helped a lot, and is much cheaper than dyno-matt!

what does the crossover do??

in its Basic form it spilts the signal to different speakers that can handle different frequencies

I.e Low frequencies go to the subwoofer/woofers

mids freq's go to the Mid range speakers

and High frequencies go to the tweeters.

they should be built to match the speakers they are being used with.

in a more complex form a crossover is used to Stop freq's thusly called a Band stop crossover (stops certain frequecies), the opposite being a Band pass, only allowing a certain band through, band pass are normally used on Bass speakers/woofers

crossovers come in different forms

1 way IE band stop or pass

2 way 1 input signal two outputs of differnet frequency's

3 way 1 input 3 out and so on.

Crossovers are used after the amp in a passive system, active systems are different and arnt normally used in cars, as the head units normally supply on 1 output type.

trust me it is easy....and well worth it coz the sound quality is mint!!

basically a some speaker wire takes sound from my amp to one of the crossovers(one per side) and then the crossover is attached to a tweeter speaker and a mid speaker by speaker wire. When the sound reaches the crossover it sends low frequency one way...mid, and the high frequency the other way....tweeter.

Thats it!!! simple..... :lol:

its all true mate, he speak no lie.

the midrange/tweeter package is much better than the full range speakers and is simple to connect up and they can generally can take more power also.

There are also 2 types of x-over: Active & Passive

Passive comes after the amplifier and work at speaker level.

They are built from simple capacitors, coils and resistors and need no power so operate. They are simple and need no setting up, but they do reduce power to the speakers compared to active. It's also quite easy to build your own passives.

Active comes before the amplifier and works with line-level (RCA cables).

Active x-overs are electronic devices that need a power supply. They have adjutable frequencies at which they cross and are much more efficient. They are also more complicated to setup and easy to get wrong, so tend only to be used in more serious setups.

Chris,

passive or active they are the same basic thing

passive means after control amplification (ie at the speaker signal end of the chain)

active means before control amplification (spliting the signal to different amps) for different speakers

but that a whole other story!! :)

Boston acoustics. I have them on my car you spend the extra money and get the better ones. The sound quality is great i bought them to run with 2 8inch JL W7's for all sound quality so far the speakers sound great just waiting on my special order for the subs.

GET INFINITY FRONT SPEAKERS I HAVE THEM with jbl GTO 6x9 and 2x12" vibe sub boox being poweered to abt 140watts and the infinity r great no lie try them even if u dont buy them

I'm running Focals up front 6.5" doors, 4" dash & 1" dash.

the sound is awesome. with 2x 12" diamond M6's in Boot

Hay Cheesy

what Focals are you runnig and what with the 1" in the dash :?

i have a Polycevlar 27V sub its the nuts.

just saving up fro the rest!

cant rate the Focals enough 8)

I'm Running the polyglass kit at the moment very good but looking at changing to the Diamond M6 set up.

Some people may not agree but i found a suitable postion just below where the origanal spks r in the dash, and carefully cut a out the hole for the tweeters, started small and worked out till they fitted, they are flushed fitted to the dash.

Put them there as i wanted full stage sound quality from the fron then the bass from the diamonds at the rear

I'm running Focals up front 6.5" doors, 4" dash & 1" dash.

the sound is awesome. with 2x 12" diamond M6's in Boot

Hmmmmm, i'm definatly a little jealous!!

Just fitted My Polyglass 165 V2's And they are great!!!! Got the crossover set a little high i think, but ill change that at the weekend, I also Have MB Quart DKD146 at the rear, Good sound quality but not that bassy. a bit too high maybe. but should work fine when i get a Diamond 12" sub and the Rocky amp i'm after! 8)

I always thought that it was better to run the mid from 3 ways, halfway up the door rather than the tweeter under the mid. that would just sound odd to me.

I used to have an idea a while ago of running a 6" woofer in the door, with a crossover feeding that and instead of a tweeter in the dash, run a 3.5/4" 2 way speaker. Ithought this would be a good way of making the sound more complete. I was told id be wrong and was turned of the idea by a couple of people. I then read somewhere that the installer for Infinity used to do EXACTLY the same thing for EXACTLY the same reason! Ahh, Gutted :( Oh well, Still fancy trying it but i think i'll just play around with the Focal's settings at the mo. (Mainly because Focal dont do 4" 2 ways from the same range!) But Hey. CD Player next !!! :lol:

I'm running 2 DLS A2 Amps

1 to run the 6's

1 to run the 4 and the tweeter throu the focal cossover.

and

1 DLS A3 for the Subs at 1 ohm stable

Which Diamond sub u getting?

Can highly reccomend DLS to run it or Genesis Profile sub amps

I cant remember which Diamond sub it is, but its a 12" with a black cone and a red/white logo, im sure you'll know the one!

Im getting the Rocky amp cause i've heard that it will work for the music i listen too. Though i would love a Genesis amp!!!!!!

How come you link to Ice Direct dont show any prices then???

Thats the new range of M3's, it has the driver from the next model up from last yr, very strong.

I had the older M3's when i started, i had 2x12" with a kicker ZR240 running then, produced 133db.

They are awesome subs.

The Genesis Amp i am Talking about is the profile sub series model think its 600rms, small and compact built in fan.

Very powerful and stable, i'm sure they reatail for about £350.

Not to sure on the prices, they try to be as competitive as possible. will do there best to beat other companys.

If u need any help with the prices, ring 01733 555550 ask for Keith.

cheers chris

Hi All!

I'm running JBL 6x4 standard fit GTOs at the rear with JBL components up front. I've cut holes in the original dash grills to flush mount the tweeters and it looks (and sounds) sweet! I've also got a Jensen (cheap, but not bad!) 12" sub in a Rockford box in the boot with a 4x400W amp bridged (2way not all 4! :lol: ) to feed the sub... I'm playing with the idea of a pair of 6x9JBLs to fill the holes that the previous owner left in the parcel shelf and use the final 2 outputs of my amp...

I'm playing with the idea of a pair of 6x9JBLs to fill the holes that the previous owner left in the parcel shelf and use the final 2 outputs of my amp...

NO!!! DONT DO IT MAN!!!!! Amp the fronts, that's where you sit aint it? Unless you reverse alot!!! :lol:

Try and get another shelf (hard) Or get a 'stealth shelf' (only about 80quid i think) Which may give a bit better stability in the back too.

Don't go 6x9's.

You sit in the front so thats where the sound stage wants to be.

Have a good set of components or run a 3 way set up!

Ok, I just got a set of Focal 130 v2's and am in the process of fitting. Ive got the woofers in the doors no probs but when I removed the factory tweeters im left with a big hole that im going to need to make an adapter plate for. Whats the best thing to use, ive got some 6mm mdf if thats any good?