Sign in to follow this  
dazzyvr6

front speakers

I removed the factory tweeters im left with a big hole that im going to need to make an adapter plate for. Whats the best thing to use, ive got some 6mm mdf if thats any good?

or you could do what i did and get a whole saw the size you need (32mm i think or theresabout) and cut out the original tweeter and fit in your Focal one. Looks trick and quite OE. Saves pi$$ing about too.

or you could do what i did and get a whole saw the size you need (32mm i think or theresabout) and cut out the original tweeter and fit in your Focal one. Looks trick and quite OE. Saves pi$$ing about too.

What, cut the tweeter out of the plastic thing that its part of? Id thought about this but wasnt too sure about it. :?

Yeah, thats exactly what i did. Its fine. Once you rip out the resistor and socket (i think) cut out the hole bang in the centre of the old tweeter. Unless your planning on selling it on...

If your not, then when your finished 'Modding' it, what are you left holding? A plastic tweeter mount that fits absolutly prfectly into the hole in the dash, and it looks like VW intended (funnily enough! :lol:)

I'll try and get a pic posted up if you want

Another Focal fan here :D

I heard the 130v's and they souned the nuts so opted for their replacements the 130v2's. Waiting to be fitted along with my Genesis Profile 4 amp and Diamond Hex 10" Macdaddy sub (how can you say no to a speaker with a name like that!)

Diamond Subs are quality

I have 2 Diamond M6's 12"

those profiles series amps are very good

still aint got mine (sub and amp) yet. :cry:

But after spending two weeks setting up my crossovers and my 7 band EQ on my JVC 909R head unit, i finally got it sounding absolutely perfect!!!!

Just need amped... :(

Yeah, thats exactly what i did. Its fine. Once you rip out the resistor and socket (i think) cut out the hole bang in the centre of the old tweeter. Unless your planning on selling it on...

If your not, then when your finished 'Modding' it, what are you left holding? A plastic tweeter mount that fits absolutly prfectly into the hole in the dash, and it looks like VW intended (funnily enough! :lol:)

I'll try and get a pic posted up if you want

Dont worry about the pic, I used the old tweeter as a template on 6mm mdf and cut it out. I then used the new tweeter as a template as well and cut a smaller hole inside that. The metal clips that held the old tweeter on went onto the adapter plate with a bit of persuasion.

Just got to take the dash apart and do the wiring now. :?

i run kef uniQ'S in the front housed in audioscape builds and for what its worth im very happy with then :lol: :lol:

The metal clips that held the old tweeter on

Metal clips? aint got that on mine i dont think....

Just got to take the dash apart and do the wiring now.

piece o p***, if not a bit tight at times. I hope for your sake that the VR dash's either have more room behind the tweeters or an exactly same amount, cause any less, and id be interested to find where you are putting your crossovers. When you first put them in, they are a complete B******! But dont give up! :wink: you'll findout what i mean...

Theres two sets of cables going to the tweeters. Play some music and unplug one of them. If all the sound stops, then thats your incoming, if your door woofer stops, then thats your link to the door speaker. mark which one is which then connect the incoming to the first two terminals on your crossover, the tweeter cable to the next two and the link to the last two. Cut the plug off the door cable but you'll have to take a trip to halfords to get some insulated crimps to connect the speakers up! (well mine didnt come with any :() Jus remember to cut the plugs off tight to the plug itself cause their aint alot of play on them cables. You may find yourself actually taking away some of the tape holding the loom together to make it that bit easier on yourself. Good luck.

The metal clips that held the old tweeter on

Metal clips? aint got that on mine i dont think....

Yeah, 3 on each tweeter, I reckon u must have them or ure tweeters wouldnt be secure.

Just got to take the dash apart and do the wiring now.

piece o p***, if not a bit tight at times. I hope for your sake that the VR dash's either have more room behind the tweeters or an exactly same amount, cause any less, and id be interested to find where you are putting your crossovers. When you first put them in, they are a complete B******! But dont give up! :wink: you'll findout what i mean...

Theres two sets of cables going to the tweeters. Play some music and unplug one of them. If all the sound stops, then thats your incoming, if your door woofer stops, then thats your link to the door speaker. mark which one is which then connect the incoming to the first two terminals on your crossover, the tweeter cable to the next two and the link to the last two. Cut the plug off the door cable but you'll have to take a trip to halfords to get some insulated crimps to connect the speakers up! (well mine didnt come with any :() Jus remember to cut the plugs off tight to the plug itself cause their aint alot of play on them cables. You may find yourself actually taking away some of the tape holding the loom together to make it that bit easier on yourself. Good luck.[/quote:df63a]

One step ahead :wink: , I just bought new wiring and a new plug for the back of the stereo and will not be using any of the existing speaker wiring.

Yeah, 3 on each tweeter, I reckon u must have them or ure tweeters wouldnt be secure.

I think my clips are plastic moulded into the design of the tweeter housing... could be tripping tho cause its been a while!!!! LOL

One step ahead , I just bought new wiring and a new plug for the back of the stereo and will not be using any of the existing speaker wiring.

Yeah, or you could do that too..... :lol: :lol: :wink:

Are you rewiring your rears too then?

im rewiring mine when i amp them so i just using std. speaker cables mean time.

Not decided on what to do with the rears yet. 1 of them was knackered so there disconnected anyway.

i have a set of MB quarts in the back. They sound excellent. not bassy, but good quality. Would sound amazing when my sub is backing them up but as they are they are perfect as rear fill speakers. Only 50 quid too. :thumbleft:

Ill maybe check them out, do they fit straight in?

How do the crossover things on the focals work? At the moment ive got the 3 way switch in the middle as I could notice a difference in the sound with this one but what does the other one do?

same fixings, but there is a kinda basket on the shelf that has to be cut out. When you see how pathetically thin the Nokia's are though, you'll be more than happy to cut them out!!!! They are 2 ways with a lil crossover on the side of them and a lil speaker cable wired up to the tweetr through the magnet! I got them at inters so not sure about full prices, much the same i think though. MB Quart DKD 146's.

The 2 way switch at the bottom controls how much the woofers play. Set at full, they play alot, set them to the other setting (like i have) and they'll only play lower stuff, which should be less stressful for them, hence they should work better. It should also help the soundstage come higher in the cabin. I found having them set at full was a little too much for my liking :shock: too in your face.

Incidently i also have the tweeters set at their lowest levels cause i can find treble to harsh at times, thats why Adjustable crossovers are so handy though, each to their own.

Just been out in the car and the doors have started rattling badly. :mad: I knew I would need dynamat or something but didnt realise how much I would need it. Is it best to get a sheet to cover the full door and replace the plastic membrane thing with it or just use one of the smaller sheets to cover the speaker area.

One thing also puzzles me, most cars ive seen before the speaker screws to the door and not the doorcard. Has anyone tried mounting the speaker onto the door instead and what were the results?

how do you get your speakers to fix onto the door pocket there does not seem to be any fixings on the plastic posts :?

What was there on your old speakers? Mine had 9mm nut type things and a rubber washer on each post.

nothing was there the speakers were sort of jammed on the posts do you think vw will sell the nuts and washers separately :?:

Are the door speaker fittings the same for the VR^ post '93 as the ones for the G60 and 16v pre 92??

I noticed that ETKA lists 2 door speaker pod types.

From memory I swear that my speakers aren't screwed in. Am I mistaken??

Cheers!

well the standard speakers on mine were set on to 4 studs and had 4 fixings and rubber washers that screw onto the studs. im not sure about the VR tho.

finally soemthing i understand. im an installerw/ a high end audio company. if u want simple.. good sound.. w/ no extra amps for your components.. mbquart reference awesoem drivers german made too :D if your pshin a lot of power, mbquart premiums, the alpine flagships are awesome too. focal poly=k's and utopias rock. oh.. and that x-plod sub. sell it. jlaudio. onyl sub worht buying. itl pund the gorund,a dn sound natural at the same time.

Alright people,

Well planning to hook up my Diamond Audio 12" M6 sub sometime. but also planning to get either DLS or Audiobahn components 5,1/4" in the doors, 4" in the dash and tweeters in the front and 6,4" components in the rear with tweeters in the rear too. Hopefully I can get the amps too, looking to get either DLS amps or genesis, but looking more at the DLS amps due to cheaper price.

Dazzyvr6 stick with the DLS or Audiobahns they have both been tops in mags and things. But at the end of the day its all down to personal taste, and budget. :D