Sign in to follow this  
JayGT

Clutch Went Pop!

Sooooooooooo it's a 93 VR with 127k miles. Engine has been running well but with a bit of blue smoke on the overrun. It has started smoking slightly under acceleration as well now.

Anything i can do to find out if it's head or bottom end?

Anyway yesterday clutch went bang so I'm gonna try and kill as many birds with one stone as I can. Gonna change clutch & have chains done as well for definite. Anything else that people would recommend?

Cheers in advance

Jay

thermostat housing

but leave the chaiins alone

It's still on the original chains & although they MIGHT last a lot longer I thought I'd rather be safe than sorry :) . Why do you say that?

yeah but you might as well get the whole lot done while your there im definately getting the whole lot done soon!

JayG60- definitely do the chains if they're original, if you're spliting the gearbox from the engine anyway why pay for the [considerable]labour to do that twice?

Rather than the chains being the weak link [no pun intended :wink:] it's the tensioners which need attention - if one goes the [already slack] 127k chain may jump a tooth & BANG goes whatever it takes with it!

For me it's a no brainer, but if you have the luxury take the rocker cover off and inspect the wear on the top tensioner, if it has two gooves in it then it's buggered [likely]. If not you've ruled it out and it's one less thing to stress about.

Whilst you've got the rocker off you could take off the head and replace the valve stem seals which are probably past their best at 127k :) , this may solve your've 'smoking' problem. As far as I'm aware smoking on acceleration suggests the stem seals whereas smoking all the time suggests piston rings, but anyone who knows better feel free to set me straight :lol:

Hope this helps - if you're handy with a spanner you can do all of these jobs yourself with a bit of time.

Thanks for the advice guys. Clutch and chains/tensioners are definites just was considering if its worth throwing more money at it.

I'm not that great with a spanner but got some good mates who are, so I won't have to spend TOO much on labour, just buy them a drink or 3!

Fidanza... flywheel?

What about engine mounts, worth changing? Vibratechnics still the daddies?

Yeap, Fidanza Flywheel.... Got one fitted when I got the gear box with the diff and shortened final drive fitted. Instantly noticable differance in rev up out off gear.

Can't really say about the in gear acceleration/rev up as the gear box makes a stunning difference to it all!! Does seem to thrash through the rev range though.

Seem to have settled on the following list to sort out my car

Clutch, chains & tensioners, valve stem seals head gasket & bolts.

Gonna get some Silkolene as well after a chat with oilman

My question is where do people recommend getting these bits from?

Is GSF stuff Ok or should i stick to VW?

I've had problems with GSF kit, try Eurocarparts a lot of their parts are OE. Otherwise IMO go for VAG tensioners, guides, clutch and gasket and ECP for the rest.

Thanks for the reply, what problems have you had with GSF bits?

I've got most of my VR and G60 stuff from there and am yet to have a problem.

I was thinking along the lines of getting most of it from VAG and seems to be the common response.

In my experience the standard of finish isn`t that good IMO, I`ve had springs, exhausts & ball joints in the past mostly for VW, all of which either didn`t fit perfectly or wore out very quickly.

Just my opinion though :)