Sign in to follow this  
Riley

G60 strange ignition timing/Backfiring now and again

Ok guys...

Checked the ign timing on the corrado today.

When everything is ready to go,ie:bts off,rpm at 2.5k,and timing light hooked up...im getting a strange thing happening.

The mark on the crank pulley is all over the place :? it jumps from being spot on 6deg (or as near as i can get it) to a little to the right/well over to the right/back again/to the left etc etc...its just all over :?

The car runs really well,very stable tickover...but its never been what id call quick,and now and again it sort of backfires when you hit the throttle.

ps:this is with the silly afr gauge unplugged :lol:

Can anyone give a reason as to why the timing mark is all over the place?

Cheers,Neil. :)

neil i had that problem,it was the same at the flywheel.

it turned out to be a dodgy chip,had new one sent and no problems since!!!

you purchased your chip around the same time as me if you remember,might be related.

i thought it was the way i was seeting the car up at first,so took it to a local rolling road and he found the same problem,the car was impossible to set the timming,went back to my old chip and had no problems at all.contacted bilal and he then sent out another chip.

no problems with new chip as for setting timming but it massively over fuels when you floor it,but fine if you gradually exelarate.

try putting your old chip back in and see what happens

regards kevin

try setting it up at 2000rpm. you start getting into the point when the ignition will advance 30degrees to account for boost at about 2500rpm, esp if you have an aftermarket chip in

Cheers guys 8)

Kevin,how goes it? :thumbleft:

Its funny...yesyerday i said to a m8,that ever since fitting the full blend charger/chip/pully...its done this,and yep we did get the chips at the same time. 8) But i just didnt know whether or not it may be something else that controls the ignition also (bts maybe?)

Last time i had problems with it,the ign timing was the same...at the flywheel also.Never been a fan of using the flywheel for some reason...if the crank pully is in perfect nick,with the pin sitting nice and tight in the crank then surely you cant go wrong using it? easier to see with the timing light too?

Unless there's some sort of rubber as steve says? cant just remember...

What you reckon i should try guys? the original chip? And if it is the chip,is there a better one out there/Would Bilal replace it? M8 has original chip (as far as we know) and his timing mark on the crank is absolutely perfect,bang on 6d and dosnt move around at all.

Rob_B,cheers m8...seems there's no definitive setting up procedure across the forums,but in the 'book' it does say 2-2.5k.What you say about aftermarket chip may be right though?

Neil.

riley the proper way to do the timing is to use the flywheel mark , ive found when doing the cam belt or ign timing that the flywheel and pulleys dont always match exactly ...its worth the extra hassle to make sure its right imo

Cheers m8 :)

Thing is...I know ideally both the crank pully mark and flywheel marl should match/be in the correct place.But who knows which is right? :? If the mark on the crank pully can be out a little,whats stopping it being out on the flywheel?

Bloody stupid vw :roll: :lol:

Gonna pop up to the unit shortly,and swap the ecu for a spare i have (oe chip),just to see if it stops the mark jumping all over the shop...and then go from there maybe?

Cheers,Neil.

I would always assume the flywheel mark to be the reference point, any deviations on the crank pulley are more likely the results of slightly sloppy fitment of said pulley, typically after a cambelt change.

Tempest

If fitted sweet as a nut though when i replaced the crank bolt :?

And surely that wouldn't cause the mark to jump forward/backward? not more of an electrical problem?

Neil.

Cheers guys 8)

Kevin,how goes it? :thumbleft:

Its funny...yesyerday i said to a m8,that ever since fitting the full blend charger/chip/pully...its done this,and yep we did get the chips at the same time. 8) But i just didnt know whether or not it may be something else that controls the ignition also (bts maybe?)

Last time i had problems with it,the ign timing was the same...at the flywheel also.Never been a fan of using the flywheel for some reason...if the crank pully is in perfect nick,with the pin sitting nice and tight in the crank then surely you cant go wrong using it? easier to see with the timing light too?

as above mate!!! I changed the chip and all is spot on,on my set up as i would imagine yours would be my fly and crank are bang on a match,but i do set up by the fly!!.

mine was a duff chip as i said above.

at the moment im not running the sns chips i have but have gone back to the bbr one,with this chip i get no hesitation when booting it,and the car revs so much better.

change your chip neil and see what happens,only takes 20 mins or so.

regards kevin

Unless there's some sort of rubber as steve says? cant just remember...

What you reckon i should try guys? the original chip? And if it is the chip,is there a better one out there/Would Bilal replace it? M8 has original chip (as far as we know) and his timing mark on the crank is absolutely perfect,bang on 6d and dosnt move around at all.

Rob_B,cheers m8...seems there's no definitive setting up procedure across the forums,but in the 'book' it does say 2-2.5k.What you say about aftermarket chip may be right though?

Neil.

as above mate!!! I changed the chip and all is spot on,on my set up as i would imagine yours would be my fly and crank are bang on a match,but i do set up by the fly!!.

mine was a duff chip as i said above.

at the moment im not running the sns chips i have but have gone back to the bbr one,with this chip i get no hesitation when booting it,and the car revs so much better.

change your chip neil and see what happens,only takes 20 mins or so.

regards kevin

Cheers Kevin 8)

If i get a minute tommorow,i think im gonna try the old superchip in there...and throw the timing light on it...just to see if the timing mark is still jumping around.

God knows what to look at next if it still does it :? possibly try one of the spare ecu's then...and thinking about maybe sending the ecu/sns chip down to darren to check out if possible...

And its doing this without that friggin afr gauge :p :wink: :lol:

Neil.

yeah get it swaped mate i bet that is all it is???

remember different chips use different co pot settings,if un sure ring your chip manufactuer.

i have five different chips all for a 68mm pulleys,i think if you intend to keep the car have a full custom re-map done,I have tryied these chips in a few different g60 all with different outcomes,or at least use a wideband to see whats what.the one chip i have does the same as you have mentioned in all g60s i have placed it in.

regards kevin

Cheers Kevin 8)

If i get a minute tommorow,i think im gonna try the old superchip in there...and throw the timing light on it...just to see if the timing mark is still jumping around.

God knows what to look at next if it still does it :? possibly try one of the spare ecu's then...and thinking about maybe sending the ecu/sns chip down to darren to check out if possible...

And its doing this without that friggin afr gauge :p :wink: :lol:

Neil.

How do Kevin,

Not had chance to test to be honest :( and today was a family/corrado video making day :oops:

Ive been running it with the afr gauge unplugged the whole time,and its still doing it,so ill definately throw the other chip in or swap the ecu...will see what happens.

For some reason though,ive got a feeling its the loom for the lambda probe...i remember when i repaired the plug on the end that the wiring looked very dry and tired.

Neil. :)

Tried another ecu and chip...

Still doing it...Anybody any other idea's? this problems been bugging me for long enough now :mad:

Neil.

How the hell am i ever going to sort this backfiring type problem ? :cry:

Got a feeling i never will,and when the time comes to sell it...problem will still be there!

Need to sort it somehow :?

Im just guessing there must be a problem in the loom somewhere...maybe along the lines of the lambda probe...as after i had problems in the past nearly everything was replaced!

Neil.

maybe worth taking it to a tuner - anywhere that really knows their stuff close by - i know from my own experience trying to fix it yourself can take forever

Aye,know what you're saying m8...

What about wayne at chipwizards? does he look at this sort of thing?

And what would the likely average costs be for diagnosing?

I could repair it myself if only i knew what the hell was wrong with it :(

henny used chipwizards i think.

if its just setup then it'll be labour only - hard to say

i know just the feeling - same with a few issues I've had - probably within my ability labour-wise - just don't have all the know-how to understand what to do