Sign in to follow this  
awigman

windscreen replacment

Can anybody reccomend a good windscreen replacement service. Some little dicks decided to run up my bonnet onto the windscreen and over the roof and now i have a 10 inch crack right in my vision.

Im based in warwickshire

Any idea of sort of costs?

thanks

no iv just checked it covers chips but not replacements. Has anybody had one changed before. I havnt got a clue how much it might cost

they are a real pain apparently, so you have to check the guy fits it properly.

dunno if you were in for the GB on the scuttle covers, but you have to remove that, and refit the original guides too, so it locates properly

Yeah, 'tis a pig to have fitted aswell, it took a few hours and alot of swearing when I had mine done, and unless you get the right screen they can be troublesome in the future too.

Annnd it is possible to get the screen out without damaging it, but not very easy as it's bonded in and all the glue has to be cut away.

It actually might be cheaper to upgrade your insurance to fully comp and then use the screen cover, but it depends on how funny your insurer is about doing that.

It actually might be cheaper to upgrade your insurance to fully comp and then use the screen cover, but it depends on how funny your insurer is about doing that.

Yeah I was thinking that, I think the excess is usually £50 - well worth it. Might be worth a go!

yep i was thinking that too. My insurance is due to get renewed this month anyway. Auto glass quoted me £628 before a 20% discount!!

Auto glass quoted me £628 before a 20% discount!!

for a new windscreen and fitting?

I spose you'll get stung after most folk just bill it to the insurance company, but still, that is a crazy figure!

yep for windscreen and fitting. i think the only senssible choice is to upgrade my insurance so it covers windscreens

I had mine fitted for £200, top job too....look for independent fitters in your local yellow pages, economy screens things like that. Most are bang on as they usualy get work by word of mouth. (Original screen too by the way)

Defo try the fully comp upgrade. If you can do without you're car for a few days it would look less suspicious when you phone em and say "Oh look, i need a new windscreen, would you believe it"!!!!!!! :lol:

Try it though, we get ripped off enough with insurance companies.

yep for windscreen and fitting. i think the only senssible choice is to upgrade my insurance so it covers windscreens

they are having a f*cking laugh mate, tell them to get f*cked and ring around locally.

there is no way in the world it could cost them anywhere near that

Auto glass quoted me £628 before a 20% discount!!

Autoglass are 0/2 and counting, their 'guarantee' means when they bodge your windscreen your only recourse is to keep giving the cnuts another go and hope they do a good job. Give them a miss IMO, Not that im bitter or anything :snipersmile:

Last year when i renovated my corrado from another spare car i took out the screen and fitted the other car's screen in its place,you'll definatly need the cutting wire/handles etc to get the old glued in sreen out of the doner car without damaging/cracking the screen.

I took out the entire dashboard as i was stripping both cars anyway,first get a blowtorch and heat up an old flat small screw driver and poke a hole through the sealent,be carefull not to scratch the black band running around the srceen's edge,insert the special cutting wire and start cutting/pulling on the handle(remember to first tie up the end of the wire to the dashboard's securing braket or similer fixed part.

Be patient and work slowly and you'll succeed eventually,i know because i removed and glued back a total of 8 windows after breaking 1 side window and cracking a front screen through impatience...

Be sure to get the right sealant for bonding and REMEMBER,if you manage to get the sealant on anythingother than on the black perimeter surround remove it at once,it is immpossible to remove when dried,how do i know??...