Sign in to follow this  
madmansi

PI vs' H&R

I’ve decided to take the plung and upgrade my suspension, and have decided to go with everyones favorite: koni top adjustables with either PI or H&R springs.

Which will be better though: PI or H&R springs? –I’ve heard good things about the PI springs on VR’s, also that they give a slightly lower drop(?) and are a bit cheaper than H&R’s.

My cars a late 93 VR, are there any other parts I should budget for? -especially while its all off.

Any help much appreciated, can’t wait!

Simon

Might be worth looking in HERE mate, its bound to be covered in there. Also do a search as im sure this question has been asked loads of times. You might end up getting mixed views though, some people will swear by the PI springs and others by the H&R's so you can only really see what you like by having a go in C's with both set ups.

I reckon 99% of peeps on here would go for H&R over Pi anytime. I had Pi springs on my Saxo VTR many moons ago and they very far too low and far too soft. Seemed like more of a "fashion" spring than something which would actually sharpen up and improve handling.

Chris 2CC rates PI's very highly but not sure which of his fleet he is currently running them on....

Both. His VR with the PI's on is one the best handling cars I have ever been in (For a non-coilover) - the ride is superb too.

Budget for top mounts front and rear, spring discs (the early ones for the plus suspension) bump stops, the plastic dust cover that goes on the bottom of the bump stop and a 4 wheel alignment.

I would also consider doing the wishbones, ARB bushes and droplinks as well.

Cheers for the input guys,

Yep have spent many hours looking into the subject on the forum!

Like you say most people seem to swear by H&R, but although i want to go lower than standard and sharpen things up a bit I want a bit of comfort aswell -spent a few years driving my 67 bug with a 6 inch drop at the front which was fun and looked awesome but nearly broke my back! -good fun with female passengers tho!(bouncy bouncy!)

Maybe i'm just getting old!?

From what I've read is that the PI's are slightly more comfortable and go a tiny bit lower?