Sign in to follow this  
G60Dan

Top mounts

Quick question - Does anyone know how much are a front set of std VW top mounts are roughly?

Thanks

Dan

I just got the car back from the garage, £310 later she has pretty much all new bushes on the front end.

I'll not be doing much going out this month! :(

She does feel so much better! Steering is nice & light and most of all there is no Clonk Clonk! I can now rip up the streets on Berkshire once more!

I'll be able to start modding after Christmas if i stop braking stuff! Woo Hoo! :D

Dan - you're not in the reading area are you? I had a mad chase down to the A329(m) from town center about a month ago or so - Red G60 looked just like yours?

No mate, I'm in Slough. Not been to reading recently.

Back to the car problem - the saga continues.....

Some how the garage has managed to get the front sitting too high. When I picked it up I just thought the suspension needed time to settle as it had all been off. I took it out last night in the wet & it was all over the place. Normally I can go round a corner & just plant it & it goes, but it just wanted to spin the wheels. I thought maybe the tracking might need doing, but when I came out to the car this morning she's was sitting well high. :? Going to have to stick it back in the garage AGAIN! to get the front of the car dropped a cm or 2

I will get this sorted!! Eventually!!!

I was about to reply 'Glad you got it sorted' then I read further down to find you still aint happy...

It's not hard winding down the coilovers mate :)

I've never looked to be honest. Only suspension I have ever fitted has been fixed height type.

What do you have to do to wind them down then mate?

Well you should have a C shaped spanner, jack the car up, slot the spanner into the groved part of the metal seat the spring sits on, and adjust/turn/wind the spanner and you'll see the spring either get tighter or it get even looser/higher.. hard to explain, but someone here should be able to explain it abit better, if you don't trust yourself doing it pop it to the garage & say you would like the car to be sitting the way it was before it went in to get the work done....

Goodluck.. :)

Cheers Bally

Can anyone else give me some sort of description on how to lower the front of the car please. Obviously after it's done, I'll have to get it traked up.

I am looking in to getting laser alignment & I'll get the garage to lower it when it's done.

hi mate ok

Step 1 - measure the height at the moment between the centre of the wheel and the arch and work out how much lower you want it.

Step 2 - loosen wheel bolts, then jack up car and take front wheel off.

Step 3 - you will see the spring sitting on a big nut with groves in, which is on thread, this is the strut.

Step 4 - you will either have two of the big nuts with groves on, or only one with an allen bolt in, acting as a grub screw (like on an after market gear knob, this stops the bolt from spinning making the car higher or lower)

Step 5 - either loosen the allen grub screw, or loosen the bottom nut with a C spanner.

Step 6 - measure from the base of the thread on the strut to the top of the nut where the spring is sitting on.

Step 7 - undo the nut with the C spanner till the top of it is 10mm lower than where it was, do up grub screw, or tighten up the second nut against the one you adjusted.

Step 8 - put wheel back on and do the other side the same way.

I went down to the garage at lunch. The Manager said I could get it lowered more & tracked up FOC which is great!! :D