Sign in to follow this  
biggrim

Diesel vs Smaller Petrol engine fuel economy

No other work at all, car is totally standard except for a Scorpion full stainless exhaust, and at he time of the Dyno had a Stroeve Motorsport induction kit fitted too, which I have now binned in favour of K&N panel in standard airbox. Only real modification is full AmD re-map.

After selling the Scoob last year and the 'Rado last week, I'm now running a Fabia vRS and can only recommend it. What a stonkingly good little car. Had a blast in the Dales last week and absolutely caned it for over 300 miles with some 3 figure cornering and flat-out straights, returning 40mpg. Then the next day on a run home from Filey to Leeds taking it steady it was up to 62.9. 130bhp but 228ftlb making overtaking a doddle and some fun driving in the twisties. It's probably a good 30-40mph slower cornering than my Scoob was but that's to be expected, but it is still involving, rewarding and fun to drive which is more than I can say for the Corsa 1.2 petrol I had for 6-7 months between the Scoob and this. That POS returned less than 28mpg on average due to ragging it to try and stir some life out of its pitiful existence, and it was about as interesting to drive as watching water boil. Planning to upgrade to a Leon FR PD170 TDi in a year or two, but for now I'm gonna get the Furby tweeked to 180/330 or so and sort the chassis and brakes to go out and frighten a few people.

The 1.4 MK5 Golf GT has good good poke and economy for a little petrol engine :-)

My mate averaged 26mpg in his 530d over a week's hard driving once....but it is a proper performance diesel though.... the same kind of driving we did in that would see 12-15mpg from a standard VR :-)

Also consider the Audi A2 TDi..... they can exceed 60mpg easily. Light weight ally body, 3 cylinder, 75hp.....super frugal cars and good fun too. Cheap to buy aswell.

Hmm. 1.2 Corsa vs. Skoda Fabia VRs. Yeah that's a fair comparison!!

Try something from the same company at least! (The 1.4 Golf GT would be a nice example.)

Everyone knows Vauxhalls are stodgier than an exceptionally stodgy thing made stodgier by adding more stodge after winning the stodgiest thing award at a stodge festival.

And then you'd have to compare a small FI petrol engine to the TDi, because as we all know the non-turbo diesels have all the excitement of a rain cloud above Manchester (not to mention all the same performance).

Think Smart Roadster in Brabus tune. Think the Golf 1.4 twin charger. Think the BMW Mini Cooper S .. etc ..