Sign in to follow this  
RADO.001

inlet manifold paintin?

rite ive had a quick look with the search but couldnt find anythin. ive started to polish the inlet mani on my vr but want to paint the gaps inbetween black, anyone know what i can use that wont cum off after a day?

Powdercoat it then polish it!!! It's really the only way that won't come off.

You can mask off those areas that you want to polish. And in fairness wouldn't cost much more than painting it, bearing in mind that you need to use possibly an etch primer first (which isn't cheap!!!) then the paint!

Powdercoat all the way!!!

My shrek has the details picked out in black bog standard enamel paint (airfix type stuff). Hasn't shifted yet and it gets mighty hot in there :)

my manifold (g60) only cost £30 to get powdercoated - and it was a great finish. So probably a lot more affordable than you think!

Although powercoat will do the job nicely, it's a bit over the top and costly IMHO.

Having flattened and cleaned the surface, and taped off the polished areas use :

1) Couple of coats of grey primer

2) 2-3 coats of satin black Hammerite spray. This is fine for "warm" applications and even works well on brake calipers without peeling.

Total cost? about a tenner...

Hammerite wont withstand oil. When I did my rocker covers etc initially I thought there was no way I was forking out for powdercoat when paint would be just as good.

I cleaned all the parts really well. Used Etch primer which you are supposed to use on ali etc. Then painted with enamel. The slightest knock and it came off!!!

When i redid them all in powdercoat it worked out very similar total cost to painting!!! And it Doesnt chip off easily!!