Sign in to follow this  
ziderapple

6 Branch mani'

Seen these on the bay before, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them, or opinions? I've seen 6 branch manifolds advertised in VW mags before for around 230. The same company also sell fairly cheap de-cat pipes for £39. Is it cheap junk or worth a look? (Perhaps I've become too used to being ripped off here in the U.K)

Clicky

Thanks.

(Sorry about the mahosive link, I dont know how to shorten them :oops: ) Link shortened - dinkus ;)

Chris, these have a very good rep afaik. Have thought about getting one myself. Several people on here have them. You'll need to buy a lot of heat wrap for it!

i have both the 6 branch and the decat pipe fitted with a full magnex system.

I found the car a lot more responsive with these fitted and would highly recommend doing this, and the noise is gorgeous too.

I dont know what sort of power gain is to be had with this mod but it is all beneficial

I spoke to vince about a 6 branch and he said there not a lot of gain, i would'nt bother.

Other than sounding twice as good as a standard downpipe mate :)

Do it fella - you'll love the sound. bit like a vr crossed with a scooby :)

I've got the one in the link and absolutely love it. Going to go for the same de-cat too.

I spoke to vince about a 6 branch and he said there not a lot of gain, i would'nt bother.

I've got the one in the link and absolutely love it. Going to go for the same de-cat too.

Hey this is gooooood news. I've got one of these and the decat pipe in the post at the mo'. Should be going on at the end of the week. Frankly, not that interested in a power increase. I just want it for the noise... :)

you will not be disappointed in this manifold or decat. The quality of the product is excellent too.

u bugger u knicked my line :lol:

:)

Sorry dude!

I think it's one of the best mods around for a vr - totally changes the character of the engine note. All good :)

:)

Sorry dude!

I think it's one of the best mods around for a vr - totally changes the character of the engine note. All good :)

signed 8)

Thanks for all the replies!! I WANT one now!! Be a good soundtrack to go with my s/c whistle :twisted:

(sorry, couldnt help myself)

I get paid friday, so I guess I know where its going. :)

Thanks for all the replies!! I WANT one now!! Be a good soundtrack to go with my s/c whistle :twisted:

(sorry, couldnt help myself)

I get paid friday, so I guess I know where its going. :)

i cant hear my 6 branch now its wrapped and i have a charger cant really hear the engine at all till i give it the beans :(

then its utterly viscious im not kiddin its bordering on painfull when you get overtaken at full chat by it its a proper psycho :twisted: :twisted:

Good 6 branchers do make a difference, most noticably in the midrange.

Pretty average ones will just make more noise and not actually contribute anything, so don't be fooled into thinking a sweeter noise = more power.

The only tubular manifold I've personally seen that does increase power is the Supersprint, but they're LHD only unfortunately.....and 3 times the price of the Raceland! But it's like comparing a Mondeo to a Bentley to be honest and no offense!

I've looked a Racey land up close and personal and I was impressed with the build quality, it's super beefy, so it should last the distance. The only thing I cannot confirm is if the runners have been properly designed to boost the scavenging effect or not, which is critical on NA engines.

It's the loss of the cat that improves throttle response, not so much the manifold, but all 3 together (cat bypass, fanimold and zorsts) will see some [small] gains on the dyno....but the throttle response will be much better.

I need to take my cat out as I'm sure my 'charger must be cooking it, plus probably not helping with overall performance. I need to do my head gasket aswell so I'm thinking I'll do the works while I'm doing that - 6 branch, de-cat, spacer gasket, smaller pulley and aquamist! So easy to spend money on cars, too easy.

I need to take my cat out as I'm sure my 'charger must be cooking it, plus probably not helping with overall performance. I need to do my head gasket aswell so I'm thinking I'll do the works while I'm doing that - 6 branch, de-cat, spacer gasket, smaller pulley and aquamist! So easy to spend money on cars, too easy.

Yeah, but you won't regret it. Money well spent. After all, the big expense ('charger) is done. Now, its polishing up everything else to make sure you get the most out of what you've got (6 branch, decat etc), and it all lasts (Head gasket, Aquamist).

Replacing the cat' is a good thing..you are right about the heat.

I have a 6 branch and a de-cat which I probably don't need now.

mani is brand new, and i've started lagging it, de-cat hasn't been fitted to my car at all.

still waiting on Jimmi with this turbo though...

I'd heard good things about fitting both, hence me buying them :lol:

send me a PM if your interested

also have some gaskets knocking around (and a chrome inlet mani :lol: )

I need to take my cat out as I'm sure my 'charger must be cooking it, plus probably not helping with overall performance. .

Modern cats barely impose any restriction at all, but the VR6 one is fairly. Mainly because it's a huge, old design and with a restrictive 400 cell catalyst.

Interesting what you say about cooking the cat but you'd be surprised what the stock cat can stand up to, although with a charger or turbo, the pressurised exhaust gases are trying to jump over several hundred hurdles instead of a nice 100m sprint to the tail pipe!

I had a Milltek 100 cell metallic sport cat with my Supercharger and I have to warn you now, the charger destroyed it very quickly....so don't bother with sport cats, they're shite......good for flow, pants for lifespan.

My advice is to defo decat and just pop the stock cat on once a year if you don't know a 'friendly' MOT tester who can poke their probe up a 1.0 Lupo exhaust instead of yours ;-)

or do what i did last time i went for an MOT. i took the old cat with me, and when the tester saw i had no cat on said "you wont pass without the cat on mate" so i gave him the cat and told him if he wanted to fit the cat for the MOT, then swap it back to the de-cat he could. i think he thought sod that, so like kev said, he just shoved the probe into another cars exhaust :)

you do not legally need a cat for MOT as long as your emissions are ok the legally there is nothing they can do.

And that is FACT