Sign in to follow this  
big_chris1981

a wheel/ tyre comfort/size question

ive almost decided on a new set of wheels, i have the option of 16x7 or 7x7.5.

can someone please tell me what tyre size i would need for either option, what et for either option and if the 16 is really going to offer noticably more comfortable ride than the 17?

love you

chris

205/45/16 or 205/40/17 mate.

You'll definately notice a drop in comfort with the 17s compared to the 16s. And a bit less precise turn-in on the 16s. Maybe a bit less grip on the 16s. But it will feel more 'nimble' and chuckable on the 16s.

Horses for courses.

On a 7.5" rim? Might need to go a shade wider than 205 width on those? I think the standard wheels are only 6.5J.

205 is spot on with a 7.5 mate. Little narrow for an 8 inch though - it stretches a bit.

Trouble is when you go up to a 215 you get far more arch eating tyre issues - i tried, and althjough the difference in width is small, it makes all the difference.

Is it a vr mate?

imo 7.5 inch wheels with an offset of around 30/35 look spot on with a vr. Takes the wheels out to pretty much the edge of the arches and makes the whole car look mean as fek.

16 is probably the best compromise i reckon. Noticeably less squidging around on the wobbly tyre walls than with the 15s.

Offset should be calculated on handling/balance requirements, not how they look!

Technically, you need the offset such that the wheel bearing is in the centre of the wheel's tread, so that the bearing doesn't have to continually support off-centre loading. You can calculate if you need spacers for a particular car or not.

All you need to know is in the Knowledge Base at the top of your page Big Chris. A 6.5 wide rim will take 195 or 205. And a 7" wide rim takes better to the 205. Going to a 7.5 wide rim, you can get away with 205, with a stretch that is hard to tell, but a 215 would be keeping to a similar ratio.

16's sound a good idea - Im due to go down the same route. Found 17's to bee too rough and bumpy -- like a stone across water.

There is an offset calculator in the above link. If it doesnt make sense, the Tyre Bible will soon clarify matters - or confuse them, lol.