Sign in to follow this  
Matt GTi

Do you guys think this sounds good?

how much is vag-com and what's the score with this i keep reading about it but have'nt heard about it before :?:

something like $200 for the lead and the "license" from an american company called Rosstech and of course you need a laptop to run it.......basically it lets you "speak" to the diagnostic port of most C's...so that you can check(and clear) any fault codes that have been thrown up.....pretty handy fo the VR as there are a lot of wee engine sensors that can cause problems for you if they are kaput......the VW-dealer of course have the "proper" machine for doing this but by all accounts the Rosstech software and leads are well worth getting...especially if you have already got a laptop

It's worth noting that if you haven't got a laptop but have got a drive, you can do as I do and use a long serial cable. I basically just hook up, start the car, lock it with the spare keys and sit back and scan from the comfort of my armchair!

Also, the cable and software can be aquired from http://www.vag-com.co.uk but interestingly enough, Rosstech in America get the kit to you faster :?:

If you do order from the states, get them to label the box as 'Books' or 'Returns' and you'll avoid import duty, but most US companies are sympathetic to our plight and record the value as £10 (no IT on goods under £15) for us.

Kev

Doh! The guy was called away to an emergency meeting at the last minute on Saturday, so can't go to see it until next weekend. Well they do say good things come to those who wait.

The 93 sounds good, maybe better than the 94, you'll have to take a good look at both to see the best one. you're lucky you even found 2 in the classifieds or wherever. i live in the US, i found mine on autotrader, and the guy wanted 6000 but, i eventually got it for 3000 US(about 2000 pounds :? ) it was a 92 VR6 with 114000 miles! :shock: even though i knew i would have my share of technical difficulties i got it cos it was a corrado, end of story. im only 17 so paying for its ups and downs is hard to say the least! ive already sunk $3000 (2000 pounds) in it already for repairs (hey thats was sellng price :roll: !) personally i would take the 94, just cos its younger! good luck!

Will

Ice Grey Violet is rapidly becoming one of my very favourite colours. Its an awesome colour, and looks perfect on the Corrado VR6.

It does look very smart Jim, from the photos I have seen both of the car, and of cars of the same colour. The guy sounds 100% genuine, and has agreed to give me first refusal on it, due to the delay at the weekend.

Will, 17 and insuring a Corrado, even in the states thats got to be mega bucks! You must have done some serious haggling to drop the car to half price! Fair play to you. I think the 93 does sound better, it has lower mileage + all the extras I wanted, Leather, air con etc.

It's weird, I'm looking forward to just seeing the car. I really wished I had one this morning, I had some smug git in a 530 Beemer totally waste me on a dual carrigeway.

Re your query about cost of an air-con recharge, I had mine done by a mobile bloke who did it on my drive for £80 about 2 years ago. I've just had a full a/c service (inc leak test, UV dye added, filter change, etc) done at my local stealer and that was nearer £150 from memory. The reason to make sure its kept charged (which some people reccomend you do every 12-18 months) is not only so it cools the air, but because the refrigerant also acts as a lubricant. In particular it lubricates the rubber hoses in the system. This in turn prevents them from drying out and increasing the rate of loss of refrigerant through the hose walls. Therefore the way to a healthy a/c system is to make sure its fully charged and then use it (for at least 30 min/week). I use mine almost constantly, unless full power needed.

You can tell if it needs recharging because it doesn't get the air as cold as you would expect and on some systems (mine) a low refrigerant level results in a low hissing noise from the compressor. In the winter its sometimes hard to test this as the outside air coming in is cold anywat and its easy to assume that if the a/c clears the windows super quickly, its OK, but I've found that the ability of the condenser to de-humidify the air is unaffected by a low refrigerant level. So if the seller says it works fine, look at the windows clearing, still ask to see a recent re-charge receipt or build the cost into the sale price. Some a/c engineers leave a tag somewhere on the system giving the date of the re-charge they carried out.

David