Sign in to follow this  
TrentSC

What's the oil temperature range for a 2.0l 16v?

The MFA shows my oil temperature going up to 116°C on the motorway, and while nothing is falling off the Corrado and it's not trailing a plume of smoke, I wondered what is the OK range of temperatures for the oil?

Cheers.

The MFA shows my oil temperature going up to 116°C on the motorway, and while nothing is falling off the Corrado and it's not trailing a plume of smoke, I wondered what is the OK range of temperatures for the oil?

Cheers.

manual says back off at 145 :lol:

116 is fine though, if a little on the high side for steady cruising with a good flow of air, some run nearer 100, others over 110.

Radiator may be past it's best or the sender/gauge might be fibbing a bit, I wouldn't worry much though, valvers tend to run hotter than 8v 4 cylinder VWs. Just make sure you're not loosing any water and consider replacing the water pump, stat, rad and heat exchanger at some point,

especially if you're reaching 150K.

Heat exchangers will suffer if coolant is not the right type or strength and can corrode quite badly inside. Sometimes running with the coolant too strong can up temps a few degrees.

Thanks for the useful feedback, David.

It's a new car, so I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. Not sure what coolant is in there, so that might need draining at some point soon.

Change the coolant for genuine VW G12 Plus Trent. Everyone recommends the stuff on here and it isn't expensive either. Costs around £6 all in for one and a half litres. Defo worth a try as a poosible cheap fix :)

manual says back off at 145 :lol:

The funniest thing is that MFA goes up by 2!

Mine usually sits at around 100, but i wouldn't be too fussed about 116*...perhaps the thermostat isnt fully opening.