Sign in to follow this  
cardboard

Headlight loom upgrades or HIDs? (see page 2)

For your information all halogen headlight housing do give off a degree of glare. When using regular 55 watt halogen bulbs this glare is unnoticeable but when you use something like 100 watt competition halogen bulbs this glare becomes noticeable. So if you are putting in HID capsules that have 3 times the light output of 55 watt halogen then you will noticeable glare that everyone talks about. Color temperature also adds to the perception of glare as going over 4300K on coming traffic will notice 6000K as glare while 4300K they will not.

In my opinion the best would be to get 4300K H4 capsules with the arc with the closest specs.

:notworthy:

I was experimenting with two types of bi-xenon mechanism

on the left is the mcculloch with moving shutter and on right was no name telescopic mechanism

ry%3D480

The quality of that McCulloch looks the dogs danglies. I like the ballasts on the back of the bumper too, nice and neat. :salute:

more pics

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

had a problem with the high tension wires for the high beam not being long enough on the passenger side. There was nothing on the market so I custom made this HID extension a la maison. :clap:

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

testing high beam with 6000K hid capsule

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

low, high and fog on. :salute:

ry%3D480

Can you do an on the road shot? Low and dipped beam, would love to see the difference. :D

car is stored during the winter and now we are having a snow storm. Will have to wait on them road shots.

corradog60stage4

Just to re-cap... you have 4300 in the main/fogs and 6000 in the high beam (spots)? Hence the difference in color between the Spot and Main? :confused4:

I've had a Corrado with an uprated loom and now one with HIDs. The thing that strikes me from having experienced both methods of improving the lighting situation is that the Corrado lens is poor so you'll always have a diffused beam pattern if you're using standard optics. For me putting a brighter bulb/better loom or HID bulb in means you're getting more of the same. So more light but still crap beam pattern. So it's better because there's more light but still not ideal.

As for HIDs and MOTs - Mine sailed through. In fact the tester commented on how bright the lights were!

EDIT - Mine are 6000Ks incidentally and look like this (not really blue):

3025569268_c52b5b61df.jpg

Oooh looks like the beam pattern is actually pretty good from those limited shots. I'd definitely be looking at some 4300K lights as they don't look too blue and you actually get more lumens of light outta the suckers too :norty:

Out of interest - how have you wired yours up?

I'm guessing you have:

H4 Bi-Xenons - stage 1 is lit for dipped beam, both stages are lit for high-beam.

H3 Xenons - off for dipped beam, on for high-beam

Is that correct, or is the McCulloch kit just a single stage HID?

corradog60stage4

Just to re-cap... you have 4300 in the main/fogs and 6000 in the high beam (spots)? Hence the difference in color between the Spot and Main? :confused4:

yes correct.

I have the 6000K just to test the color and it is just too blue for me but my honda ricer buddy loves them blue.

I will be putting 4300K for the highs as well.

Oooh looks like the beam pattern is actually pretty good from those limited shots. I'd definitely be looking at some 4300K lights as they don't look too blue and you actually get more lumens of light outta the suckers too :norty:

Out of interest - how have you wired yours up?

I'm guessing you have:

H4 Bi-Xenons - stage 1 is lit for dipped beam, both stages are lit for high-beam.

H3 Xenons - off for dipped beam, on for high-beam

Is that correct, or is the McCulloch kit just a single stage HID?

Yes HIDs are good and gives more light output than the halogen setups.

When you go blue in the same headlight housing the blue hue give a greater impression for glare.

Originally the corrado comes with 9004 bulbs so I wired them up with the same plug going to four relayed harnesses. I think first stage is dipped, pull on the stalk and both dipped and high are on. push the stalk and only high beams.

The fogs on the other hand I added an independent OEM switch and relayed circuit so regardless low or high and I have on or off control of them.

Ah yeah, I forgot you Canadians have got a different setup.

You've got sidelights on all the time, whereas we've got a 3-stage headlight switch (off, sidelights - the same as your running lights, main headlights).

Plus you guys didn't get foglights, whereas we've already got ones with a switch in the dash to control them.

Sooo your wiring may also be different to ours. Hmm, can anybody (looking in Mystic Rado's direction here :lol:) confirm what the UK Corrado setup is?