Sign in to follow this  
Sanj

Cold Cathode Tube

Alright guys.

I've got a couple of thin cold cathode tubes, blue in colour and want to get them in the car. I was just wondering hows the best way of connecting them up cos they do come with a transformer which converts the 12v car voltage to higher 180-800v tube voltage.

Could I try and connect them up using any existing wire in the car like say the loom for the interior lights, or would I need to have a separate connection to the battery, with fuses etc?? :idea:

i once tried putting these cathode's under an mdf parcel shelf, you'll have to be careful that the little board containing the transformer doesnt touch anything conductive...or you'll short it.

Also..i'm not even sure how it happened...but i wired these to the boot light wires just positive and negative, they don't consume much energy and i think the current consumption is quite low...so wires shouldn't get hot.

Its upto you mate if ya wanna run new wires from battery to it, bearing in mind you may have to fuse it and build a switch in too.

Just be careful you get the wires the right way round..cos i think thats what blew mine up...the 'capacitor' thingy built up with energy and made a bang! shit me up big time mate...i took em back to maplins and got me some good old fashioned neons.

Good luck..

Sanjay no.2. :D