Sign in to follow this  
craigowl

VR6 - "slight play in front strut top mountings".

An MOT advisory this year and last year said there is slight play there. I believe this is common, as are "slightly pitted brake discs", ffs!

Suspension is all original from 1995 and 103k.

As a pensioner (aw, shucks-), I am not looking for things to throw a lot of money at, but my questions to you guys who have experience of the components and the work are:

1 - How much time for labour to replace these?

2 - Anything else that should be done while in this state of dismantle and the labour in hours?

3 - Will handling improve noticeably? It seems good to me, but I have never had new suspension stuff on the C.

Many thanks in anticipation of your welcome replies.

'all original' and 100k miles, I'd say it would benefit from new dampers and top mounts, but if the play is only minor then it's not absolutely necessary. With the slightly older style top mounts they seem to exhibit a tiny amount of play after a few hundred miles,it's not until they drop right down/strut top pop up too high under bonnet, that most get replaced.

You'll soon feel the car wobble from left to right if the top bearings go and they'll make a clunking too.

I'd expect a couple of hours labour to be charged for changing these and that should include wheel alignment afterwards.

Thanks, davidwort.

Re wheel alignment.

I had wheel alignment on a GTi Mk2 done about six years ago at VAG when they had just acquired their new laser thing with bells and whistles.

The setup brought remarkable changes to the car, but the VAG invoice was hefty IMO.

Presumably "non VAG" wheel alignment, done, say at my local Bosch garage, (labour £35/hour plus VAT) would be good enough for the fussy Corrado, though?

Regards

always get my dad to do a basic 4 wheel (well 2 really) alignment at the garage he works at, just a basic system that hangs off all four wheels and aligns the front to the back ones, but I've always got the car driving perfectly, no pulling tyre wear etc. Camber adjustment I do with a spirit level and a couple of bolts to space the level off the wheel rims :lol: does the job fine though.

I've had Quick Fit etc.. alignment done before for 20-30 quid and they've always done a reasonable job, left the steering wheel slightly off centre though :roll: glad I invested in that 24mm socket :) ...no comments about the 'nut behind the wheel' being the problem thanks!

If they detected "slight play" when the car was jacked up, tell them to check it when the car is on it's wheels instead.