Sign in to follow this  
Linus Van Pelt

Fuel Pump about to die?

For the last couple of months, my fuel pump has been whining almost constantly. I recentlly had my car serviced where the fuel filter was changed (this reduced the volume of the noise) and I was advised that the fuel pump could continue to work whilst still making that noise (the implication was it could happily go on for a while). To the best of my knowledge, it's still the original one and has done 200k miles.

This evening on the way home from work I had what I can only assume is misfiring, but rather than all the misfiring I've suffered in the past, this was only at high revs (4,500-5,000+). It's almost like it's hitting the rev limiter too early :) It only started doing this about 5 miles from home (having already done 60 or so with no problems).

A quick search on this lovely forum and it would appear that this is indeed a sign of a dodgy fuel pump.

Questions are basically: Is this lilely to occur permanently now, or will it be an intermittent thing? Are there other signs or things to look for? Will I risk damaging the engine if I continue to drive it whilst it's like this? Any ideas on how much I'd be looking at if it is new fuel pump time?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Best Regards.

I'd imagine that the pump's wearing out so can't supply the fuel quick enough when you're up at the top of the rev range and although it might be intermittant at the moment, it aint gonna get any better on it's own.

If the pump does let go then it'll starve the engine of fuel and it'll stall, most likely when you've got your right foot buried in the carpet. It shouldn't do any damage to the engine, but it won't be pleasant, especially if you're on a motorway.

I'm not sure what pump the valvers use (I think it's some strange dual-pump setup) but the 4-bar pump for the G60/VR is £70ish. You'll also need some fuel hose clips (like jubilee clips, but smooth on the inside so they don't cut the hose) and you may also need the sender unit too as some of them are different (again - have a search to find out for sure on that one).

You'll have a lift pump in the tank and the other pump will be next to the fuel filter. The lift tank pump is the best place to start as it's less than £20 and easy to replace. The other pump is around £80-100 and is a bit more difficult to fit but nothing major.