Sign in to follow this  
swiftkid

Overheating...

Right, iv just replaced the headgasket on my corrado 1.8 16v. put it all back together, let it run for a while and all of a sudden the water bottle on the right hand side of the engine bay started bellowing with steam and water overflowing. Does anyone have any idea why its doing this? I have just put a new thermostat in today to try that but no luck.

I bought the car with a start button on because the ignition doesnt work, i have heard this could possibly cause a problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

Take the expansion cap off and check the condition of the "O" ring. Use a very thin smear of washing up liquid to prevent the ring from gathering or better still, fit a VAG upgraded cap especialy if yours is the old black type.

O..... i just further inspected the cap and there are traces of the O ring but nothing left. but it still overheats with the cap off.. im going to have a go at getting the air lock out tomorrow but thanks for the advice