Sign in to follow this  
zak

whats this on my abs pump?

Can anyone tell me what the component marked A in the picture below does? It is mounted on my abs pump in the engine bay.

The reason i ask is that yesterday i came back to my car and there was a buzzing noise emanating from what sounded like my engine bay, this is while my car was parked up. I thouht maybe the noise is from something underneath the car as i was parked in a underground car park

SO i got in the car and proceeded to exit, as soon as i touched my brake pedal the brakes were overly sensitive and the brakes locked. So i parked back up and opened the bonnet, i could hear a buzzing noise coming from the abs pump even when the engine was not running and there was no key in the ignintion. Initiialy i disconnected the battery and reconnected hoping this would do something but the noise still remained when the battery was reconected. After fidling about i disconnected the connecter marked B in the picture below and the noise stopped so i started the car and the abs light came on and went off as usual when i start the car. I tried the brakes and they were fine so i drove home.

When i got home i tried to re connect the connector marked B and the noise came back. So my question is what does this component do? and what is causing this problem?

Ive tried to search abs faults but you cannot search "abs" as it i sonly 3 characters long.

abs.jpg

Hehe - when i saw the thread title, i guessed it would feature the wierd spirally / resistor thing. Unfortunatly i dont know what it is, so can only help by bumping the thread.

I really want to know too ...

*puts kettle on*

glad to hear im notthe only one, im sure it must have been covered before but the forum will not allow me to search for "ABS"

SO any help regarding making the search work or identifying the component would be greatly appreciated :)

TBH, it looks similar to the yellow resistor next to the battery which drops the voltage for the side lights ( i think ? ), but why does the abs pump need one ?

It's a current limiting ballast resistor. Not sure what for though, have you traced the wires to see where they end up?

When the ABS kicks in prematurely, it's usually caused by a worn pedal position sensor, causing the ABS ECU to have no idea where the pedal is basically and thinks you're about to lock up.

Cheers Kev that gives me some sort of direction when i'm fault finding at the weekend

It's a current limiting ballast resistor.

You made that up ! :D

I had heard, from a reliable source, that it was there to regulate the polarity of the isolinear processors and open a graviton wave in the aformentioned Raddo SRM ( speed reduction mechanism ).... :norty:

I never found out what the item in the picture was but i changed my abs ecu as the old one had corroded terminals and now everything works as it should.

It's a current limiting ballast resistor. Not sure what for though, have you traced the wires to see where they end up?

When the ABS kicks in prematurely, it's usually caused by a worn pedal position sensor, causing the ABS ECU to have no idea where the pedal is basically and thinks you're about to lock up.

Could this eventually lead to the ABS light constantly being on?

NOticed my ABS was a little eagar to kick in, esp on wet days. Then a month or so ago the light just came on for no apparent reason i.e. i hadnt been messing with anything that may have got disturbed.

#Whatcha gonna do with all that pump, all that pump inside your trunk?

I'm gonn' get get get you drunk, get you love-drunk off my pump.

My pump, my pump.#

fergie__Black_Eyed__212683c.jpg

Yes, I'm a bit :cuckoo: :camp:

Where would one find the PPS and go aboot changing one .. er .. I mean, it?

It's under the master cyl dude on the servo - plus with 2/3 wires going to it...

A spring slip holds it on but you need a small mirror to see it

its a resistor , but god only knows what its doing there

funny enough thou i was under my bonnet the other day and noticed it there and thought what the hell is that for. :shrug: