Sign in to follow this  
maxveins

Blocked radiator

Couldn't find anything on search...

So, having replaced then temp sender and numerous other switches and the thermostat we may finally be at the route of my problem on the cooling side of things...

When I squeeze the top radiator hose, a nice looking shall we say poo coloured water goes into the overflow tank, so I'm guessing its full up of crap, and only half the radiator gets hot, tried flushing it out but not much more luck, so just going to assume the radiator is gone and have arranged to have a new one fitted on saturday afternoon, just wanted to check incase anyone else has any slightly less obvious ideas.

Plus the bottom hose kind of gets warm but not exactly as warm as it should be.. and the temp guage is rocketing and the warning light constantly flashing...

Max

saw another one like this on a 1.8 earlier in the year, fortunately enough flushing eventually un-blocked it.

I'd make sure everything is well flushed out though in the rest of the system, cause if there's gunk in the rad it'll be elsewhere too including heater martix by-pass valves.

you could try removing your old rad and using some vinegar or kettle descaler on it, would probably shift everything, VAG rads are the best for the 16v, the original parts have a better cooling capacity than the pattern parts that are cheaper, despite the looks the 16v rad is specific to the 16v and you shouldn't really use an 8v carb rad in it although you'll get away with it in most weather in the UK.

Yeah, euro car parts seem to carry them i stock, thats the one my mechanic will get for me anyway...

Thanks for the heads up on the other bits though, I'll get him to check through all the rest of it then as well!